Newbie - cannot compile at localhost

May 20, 2009 at 12:39 AM
Edited May 20, 2009 at 12:40 AM

I use GoDaddy and they installed BlogEngine in the folder BlogEngine at my hosted site. It works perfectly.

So I download using WS_FTP everything from the server to a new folder BlogEngine at my web

Visual Studio 2008 will not compile this.

Here is the error

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\My Documents\My Webs\IdealCompaniesJoe\BlogEngine\App_Data\web.config 9 

It says the problem is in line 9 in web.config. Here are the lines:

8   <BlogEngine>
 9       <blogProvider defaultProvider="DbBlogProvider">
10           <providers>
11               <add name="DbBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.DbBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core" connectionStringName="BlogEngine" />
 12         </providers>
 13     </blogProvider>
 14  </BlogEngine>

Why would this work at GoDaddy and not in my Visual Studio?

Joe

Coordinator
May 20, 2009 at 1:38 AM

If you use VS, you should click File -> Open -> Website and point to the folder you have BlogEngine in.  In this case, it looks like you have BE in a folder named "BlogEngine".  It should work then.

If you open a parent folder of BlogEngine in VS, you'll get the error you're showing here.

May 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Ben,

Thanks. That worked. Everything compiles. My next program is that my local SQL database does not have all the tables etc. at GoDaddy. So I need to find a way to copy in down to from there to my SQL because nothing with RUN as I'm missing the database. The SQL database is NOT in the APP_DATA folder but seems to be elsewhere.

Joe