BlogEngine.NET 1.5 and image location when posting with WLW

May 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Hi,

I've noticed that when posting with WLW in BlogEngine.NET 1.5.x the images from the post are not uploaded within the expected folder.

For example the path of the image is: /image.axd?picture=image which creates a little mess

instead of: /image.axd?picture=WindowsLiveWriter/postname/image as it used to be.

Currently I'm trying with BlogEngine.NET 1.5.1.7 and WLW Build 14.0.8064.206, over SSL.

Thanks,
Adrian

Coordinator
May 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM

This is intentional.  It's designed in BE 1.5 to put all the images in a single folder.  BE does check for duplicate file names and adds a number to the end of the image filename to avoid overwriting a pre-existing image.

Is there any reason to have the images in separate folders?

May 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, to be honest, for my personal needs, not really, blogengine is cool -:). Maybe, when images are frequently used in posts, over the time quite a few images will be there(in the files folder), and so it would be a little more "difficult" to quickly say by looking which image belongs to which post(say in case I search for a specific image) or when backup the data files by ftp would be easier to have the new uploaded images more "grouped" so they can be easily selected for download(I suppose the order by date in the ftp client solves this aspect).

Just wondered about this behavior, as with previous versions the images would go into the /files/windowslivewriter/post folder, or when used with the default editor they would have gone into the /files/year/month folder(I remember that was some time ago an update).

Good to know this is the intended behavior with BE 1.5.

Thanks,
Adrian

Coordinator
May 20, 2009 at 9:56 PM

At first, I thought separate folders would be better too (the old behavior).

But now I think I like having all the images in one folder for two main reasons.

1. With Windows Explorer or an FTP program, you can easily see all the images at one time.  If they're on your computer (or you have a slideshow type of program for your website), you can also easily view all the pictures, one after another.

2. For backing up, even when the images are all in one folder, if you sort that folder by Modified Date, you can see which of the images are new since your last backup.

Yes, it's not easy to see which images go with which posts when they're all in one folder.

May 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Hi Ben,

I think right now I have around 900 pics within the files folder. I suppose I was a little worried about their number growing and having them all in the same folder.

Personal I use the Filezilla client with FTPES. I can quickly spot the new files with the help of the Last modified soting option. Plus Filezilla has a Directory Comparison option, which is pretty handy.

Thanks,
Adrian

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Personally, I prefer the files living under a Windows Live Writer folder, too. I've posted a source code patch to enable this - you need to make a mod to the wlwmanifest.xml file and a change to url encode the path to the newly created file. See http://blogengine.codeplex.com/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx and patch #2637 for more info.

Cheers
Matt