BlogEngine at school: need Post history funcionality

Topics: Business Logic Layer
May 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM
Edited May 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

A school in Sao Paulo, Brasil uses Blogs and Wikis as valueable tools for the children to develop and improve their expression skills.

Till last year, Zope ( was used for the blogs and wikis. Due to hosting limitations of Zope plattform  (which runs in Phyton) we decided to move to other tools.

BlogEngine was ellected to do the blogs. 

I have installed BlogEngine.NET for a school, initially for 2 groups of 8 year old students. It was easy to setup, minor changes had to be made.

The teacher is set up as admin and the students as editors.

The blog activities will start soon (they usually use blogs from june to december) and we still have one issue to address: post history capability.

In zope, almoswt all user activity can be logged. In our case, if the teacher wants to see all versions of a single post, he can. This way he is able to see, for example, if a student wrote something not appropriate and then deleted it, the teacher was able to know about. The Zope administration pane gives admins the ability to rollback a post to a later time or even to restore a deleted post.

I wonder if there is some kind of extension that provides this kind of funcionality to BlogEngine. If not, what would be the best approach to achieve it?

I have started thinking about using UPDATE and DELETE triggers in SQL Server, so that we could have the latter versions of a post when they are deleted or updated. 

But it would be fine if we could have something at the core level of the BE that, when enabled, registers all the blog acitivity the administrator needs to.