Can't Add New User

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Hey all,

I'm using BlogEngine.NET to set up a website for a company with multiple users (authors). However, even though I am logged in as Admin, I can't add new users. Whenever I fill out the form, I get "Error Adding New User".

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Is this only related to adding new user? What about adding category, for example? Did you look at JavaScript errors using DevTools or FireBug? Usually they help get to more specific error.
Nov 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Hey thanks for the reply.

It appears to be related only to adding members. Also tried in a different browser and had the same issue. Looked at JavaScript and this is what came up:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized)
Does that just mean I don't have permission to add a new user, despite being logged in under the admin account?

Thanks
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Check admin rights under users -> roles. Make sure admin has all rights selected.
Nov 21, 2014 at 2:55 PM
Weird, they are all selected. When I tried to de-select, thinking maybe I just have to re-enable the option, it wouldn't let me save those changes either. Got a different error though
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)
I double checked to make sure I was actually an administrator, and sure enough I am.
Nov 21, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Also strange is that when I go to change the name of the blog, I also get the same 401 (unauthorized) error, but the change goes through for some reason, even if it says it didn't.
Feb 3, 2015 at 10:01 PM
Hi AnchorSteve,
I wonder if it is a permissions issue on the server. I had similar issues when I installed the blogengine.NET on my web server. Check with your network administrator about how they set up the web server. Or if you can check yourself log into the web server and open up IIS and check the Permissions on the root directory of your site. I was having a problem removing the "Read-Only" attribute on the root directory. It removed it for most of the files but it didn't for others and I can't find the ones that are still read-only. Anyone else having similar issues? Katherine.