Create New Blog from Existing Blog (auto copy Posts)

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Nov 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM
Previously, when creating a new Blog, you had the option to "clone" the new Blog, from an existing one, meaning copy all the posts.

Is this feature gone, or is there another way to easily copy posts from one Blog to another?

Thank you
Dec 3, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Has nobody else had this issue? I'm not sure of the best way to migrate, or copy, all posts from one blog to another.

It would be tedious to have to manually recreate several posts in a new blog. If I were using a DB provider, it would be much easier, but with XML I'm not sure how I would clone all of them, without some custom coding.

I tried the import/export feature, but I can't get to that screen from any blog other than Primary.
Dec 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM
As an FYi for anyone else with this issue -

There is a function called BlogService.SetupBlogFromExistingBlog, in Core, BlogGenerator.cs, which can be used to copy posts from an old blog to a new one. Not sure why this isn't an option in the UI anymore, but at least the code is still there.

Side note: Think there is a bug when deleting an existing Blog. Dashboard deletes the blog from Blog.xml, but the blog folder remains in AppData\Blogs, which means you can't recreate a blog with a name that's been previously used.

Thanks