Guide to how BE is constructed?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Dec 9, 2014 at 7:40 AM
I would like to use BE as the core of a site which would also have a lot of static and db-driven pages. The blog side of things looks great and could save me a lot of work but I would still need to do a lot of coding for the no-BE functions, so it would be great to have documentation about how BE works without having to spend quite so long under the hood disentangling the code myself. Is there a guide to BE-core code structure somewhere? How do new developers get up to speed with the established code?
Dec 11, 2014 at 6:55 AM
Hi David,

Currently with the major changes in BE from BE 2.5 to BE 3.1.1.1 there are not much documentation for developers on BE.

There is a new documentation website through!

http://dnbe.net/docs

Another great website is Rtur website:

http://www.rtur.net/blog/

The best thing currently to learn how BE works under the hood is to dive into the code directly.

Grab the latest source code at:

https://blogengine.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest

Work with it within Visual Studio and get your hands dirty :)

When you run into issues or have questions just ask here and we will try our best to help you out :)

BE over all really is designed to just "Drop" into your existing website and not run your entire website.

When using it in the intended fashion in theory you really should not have to do any core code changes.

From my experience with other BE users and my clients the changes 95% of them the client and other users thought they had to change the core to make the change but in reality can be done with CSS,HTML, or JavaScript.

Lot of people are over thinking things.

So when you see yourself needing to change the BE.Core 95% chance you are over thinking what you are doing or don't realize the hidden functions that BE has :)

I like helping people when I can.

So I would like to know what exactly your plans are for your Website and what you are trying to do with BE.

Can help give you a quick jump start on what you need to do :)
Dec 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM
That's really helpful - and thanks for the links. The main part of my site is a fairly static information resource for travellers - an SQL database full of infromation that's displayed depending on their selections from a variety of controls (some maps, mainly drop down boxes). I want to be able to build up a database of registered users who will sign up for alerts etc and the weekly blog is part of keeing them interested and connected. I haven't written a website since about ?2005 when it was ASP.NET2, no Linq etc so I have a lot to catch up on - ideally I would like to capture information about people commenting on the blog as well as those who are looking for information on the site, and of course I want a unified theme and layout across the blog and the information resource pages. So I will need to understand a bit about BE theming and how to connect the two parts etc.
I will have a good look at what you have linked to - and will probably have a lot of questions so might take you at your word :-)
Dec 16, 2014 at 7:24 AM
OK _ Here's my first newbie question! I'm trying to modify the standard theme so I 'm deconstructing it, and I can't see where the button top right (qnotes??) that pulls down a quick posting box gets inserted. I can't find it in the markup of site.master or main.css. Is it a widget? How do I get rid of it - or get it back?! Presumably there is some code rather than markup than inserts it but I have looked in many places. Thanks in advance to all!
Dec 16, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Hi David,

The Front End of the QuickNotes "Module" is located in the

Scripts/App

Folder.

https://blogengine.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#BlogEngine/BlogEngine.NET/Scripts/App/qnotes.js

Only "Authorize" users will see the Quicknotes.

By Default Admin sees it.

So if you logout it goes away.

The qnotes.js file shows what css and html are injected at run time.

You can get which selectors to target and etc from there.

Using CSS on

q-notes

{

}

Will fix 95% of any issues you have with QuickNotes.

I personally like to have it in a certain position, so adding some of your own rules there will normally fix it.