Dev Documentation...

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Hello all,

is there any documentation for developers?

I'd like to customize blogengine.net to suit my needs -- are there any guidelines/docs on how to do that?

thanks
Dec 30, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Dec 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Thank you for the reply

I've created a new extention and I'm working on a theme and that's fairly easy.

However I'd like to add a request handler for a custom sync interface (rss-style syncing with mobile devices) and an admin module for it.

Would be nice if there was an overview of how a request is handled end-to-end, how admin modules work etc

Thanks
Jan 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM
Hi Nkonstas,

If you need to add a handler to BE just put it in this folder in the Core

BlogEngine.Core/Web/HttpHandlers/YourSyncHandler

Then just register it in your web.config

Or you can create a stand alone handler and just upload the .dll to your bin folder and then register that in your web.config

For updated docs go here:

http://dnbe.net/docs

Have a great day,

Brian Davis

http://BloggersOnline.Com
Jan 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Thanks a lot for the info.

A couple more questions:

1)
If I wanted to do some custom post filtering what's the cleanest way of doing it? So say I want for a certain category of posts (e.g. 'Recipes') to allow users to filter & sort. The criteria could be stored e.g in cookies for persistence. At the moment I have a prototype working but had to modify default.aspx an did rather not do that...

2)
If I wanted to process posts before they are served, so just after they are read from the store they are transformed in some interesting way. is there a way to do that? I want to transform the post only when serving and not when editing, editing will load the original content

Thanks again!
Jan 6, 2015 at 11:57 PM
Hi Nkonstas,

There are a couple of different ways you can go with for your questions #1 and #2.

But, would like to know more details on what exactly you are trying to do so I can recommend the best method

1) Custom post filtering how exactly do you want the Users to filter and sort?
 A custom page with search and filtering options?  
 Or a Widget that they can filter with? 

Do you need them to search with data contained with in the actual posts?
 Or just with the keywords and Categories attached to posts?

Can you give an example of how a user will use the filtering?

In your example of Recipes sounds like you wanted to have deeper levels or "sub-categories" / "Grandchildren Categories" 

Post Category:  Recipes --> Bread, Cookies, Meats, Deserts, and etc.
Bread --> Whole Wheat, White

Cookies --> Chocolate Chip, Sugar, Peanut Butter

Deserts --> Cakes, Cookies, Ice Cream

Is that correct?

2) What type of "transformation" do you need to apply to a post before it is served?
 A. Design/Graphic wise?
 B. Data Transformation where you add additional information or take away information from a post?
I know you want to keep the "original" post as-is and just make some "temporary" changes to the post for users to see.

Does this transformation applies to all posts and users or to just some posts or /and users?

If you have a live version of your site can you post the URL here or PM me with the URL?

Seeing a website and your ideas can go a long way in figuring out what needs to be done :)

Have a great Day!

Brian Davis
http://BloggersOnline.Com
Mar 9, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Edited Jan 22 at 10:12 AM
Thank you for all your replies

This took me a lot longer than expected...

I have a preview of the blog I'm working on live. Please note it's still work in progress...

So the old blog is here:

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog

I ended up hacking through the code in ways I shouldn't. My initial aim was to only have customisation under /custom

Mostly down to me being unfamiliar with the codebase and maybe part of it down to BE being a little hard to customise

Filtering was an example - if you click recipes on the new blog you can see how it works.

I ended up hacking some of the BE code to implement it

Thanks again