Intranet "Blogbooks"

May 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Edited May 27, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Dear Friends,

I work for a small materials science R&D firm and we create between 50 ad 100 material samples per year through our experiments.  These material samples are cut from larger "mother samples" and all have individual alpha-numeric code names. 

The samples travel extensively inside our building and to several external agencies for various tests and characterizations.  However, we do not keep any running written history (logbook) on them.  Individual technicians and engineers usually make log-type entries in their personal paper notebooks, but that's it.  This makes it quite challenging to keep track of their whereabouts, peice together what tests they've undergone, determine who has handled them, etc., etc.

We have intranet web pages for each mother sample (created with MS Frontpage 2003), but these pages presently contain only photos. 

It seems to me that we could really use an "intranet logbook" for each sample that can be accessed and updated, as required.  I have this crazy idea that the weblog concept would work very well here (hence "blogbook").  Has anyone used blogging tools for something like this yet?

By the way, you can probably tell I am not the "IT" guy in my small company and I am not a web developer.  Regardless, I've been asked to resolve this issue.

I'd be quite grateful for any advice.

TP

OBTW, I've downloaded a trial version of MS Express Web but, frankly, I don't really know what to next.

May 28, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Why not use SharePoint Services 3.0?  It's free.  It handles revision, etc for various postings, documents.

May 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Thanks!  I’ll look into this ASAP!

TP

Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:05 PM
To: tpollard@cenergytech.com
Subject: Re: Intranet "Blogbooks" [blogengine:57657]

Why not use SharePoint Services 3.0? It's free. It handles revision, etc for various postings, documents.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com