Question about Accessibility and Useability

Topics: Themes
Jan 23, 2015 at 3:52 PM
Currently in the process of restructuring my theme and some controls to make the site more keyboard and assistive technology friendly. In reworking the post lists I'm wondering how much information or how many links to include in post excerpts. Take this page for example, when tabbing through with the keyboard it's currently 3 links per excerpt. Would this be better as a single link to the main post for each excerpt or are there any benefits to including subsidiary links and if so which ones?

In general, improved accessibility equates with improved SEO, less clutter more focus. Is anything more than a single link for each post list excerpt needed, when all supporting features are in the main post anyway, which is just a click away - curious?
Jan 24, 2015 at 5:15 PM
Hi Andy -

I would say the first category link in the post is superfluous, since it's also the last element in the breadcrumb, and repeats itself for every post. Author might be useful, but i like the UX better of having a tab key trigger the scaling effect for every post image. I agree with the approach in general, making the site navigable by keyboard, as long as browser key behavior isn't being overridden.
Jan 24, 2015 at 11:23 PM
Hi Alex.

Good to hear from you and thanks for the feedback.
I think you're confirming what I was thinking.
I've gone for the bare bones of title link only, results in minimal tabbing and no repeating links{less sifting for screen readers as well).
I suppose the post list excerpts are really just teasers, if somebody wants to read on, then the title should be grabbing them.
Leave everything else to the main post. There's a post filter anyway, so if you want to browse by category or author, then you can do so using that.
I had thought about access keys, but bombed that out for precisely the reason you mention, conflicts with browser's predefined keyboard control.

Cheers good sir.
Jan 28, 2015 at 5:33 AM
Good to hear.

Typing of SEO - any idea where i could find the Core function(s) that generate the site keyword tags? I've seen them in the markup, but don't think that function is theme specific.
Jan 28, 2015 at 9:07 AM
As far as I'm aware they are generated on a page by page basis.
So for individual posts it would be post.aspx.cs and for BE pages page.aspx.cs.
Likewise for search, contact and archive.
For the various post list views i.e. browse by date, tag, cat, author, I think it's default.aspx.cs.

This is probably one of those of these areas which would benefit from a good content parser to auto fill certain fields.