Blog Engine Admin pages blank

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM
So this a weird one.

My website shows all the pages under /admin as a blank page.

Hosting over on winhost:
Web Server: Windows 2012 with IIS 8.0

So I can go through the login screen and then it puts me back in the /admin/index.cshtml page and it renders as blank. It is REALLY weird. What is going on?

Here's the thread over there:
http://forum.winhost.com/threads/blogengine-net-admin-pages-blank.16366/#post-33000

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:40 PM
Update:
Good advice on another thread to turn off custom errors in web.config. After I did that I got a nasty server error.


[SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]
System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Object demand, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0
System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(CodeAccessPermission cap, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +31
System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +46
System.Web.HttpContext.System.IServiceProvider.GetService(Type service) +54
System.Web.HttpContextWrapper.GetService(Type serviceType) +11
System.Web.WebPages.UrlRewriterHelper.IsUrlRewriterTurnedOn(HttpContextBase httpContext) +108
System.Web.WebPages.UrlRewriterHelper.WasRequestRewritten(HttpContextBase httpContext) +13
System.Web.WebPages.UrlUtil.GenerateClientUrlInternal(HttpContextBase httpContext, String contentPath) +138
System.Web.WebPages.UrlUtil.GenerateClientUrl(HttpContextBase httpContext, String basePath, String path, Object[] pathParts) +144
System.Web.WebPages.WebPageExecutingBase.Href(String path, Object[] pathParts) +44
ASP._Page_admin_index_cshtml.Execute() +96
System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() +199
System.Web.WebPages.WebPage.ExecutePageHierarchy(IEnumerable`1 executors) +69
System.Web.WebPages.WebPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +131
System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +78
System.Web.WebPages.WebPageHttpHandler.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpContextBase httpContext) +171
System.Web.WebPages.WebPageHttpHandler.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpContext context) +66
System.Web.WebPages.WebPageHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +5
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +341
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +69


Now. Does anyone have any idea what is going one with that?

g
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:50 PM
changed trust level to full...

Error goes away, but still blank admin pages....

not helpful.
Feb 2, 2015 at 8:04 PM
Hi Greg,

Use Firebug to find your issues, http://getfirebug.com/network

It will tell you what your issue is.

If you give a live URL and PM a username/password I can also check it out for you too.
Feb 3, 2015 at 11:43 PM
Well I fixed it.

I fixed it by blowing away the entire app and re-installing. Voila fixed. :( but I have no idea what was actually going on.
Feb 4, 2015 at 9:06 PM
Hmmm. I'm having the same issue. I was about to revert to 2.9 - but I'll try a fresh install of 3.1 again.
Feb 10, 2015 at 6:49 AM
If your blog is running in a application directory inside another .NET website, the problem could be with configuration settings being inherited.
I had to put:
<add key="webpages:Enabled" value="true" />
inside my <appSettings> section for BlogEngine.NET to have the admin pages work while running below an ASP.NET MVC website.
Feb 13, 2015 at 7:22 PM
I think I found the issue.

First of all this happens when I compile a new BlogEngine.dll and deploy it to the site. Once I do that the admin pages go blank - which is weird because the versions are the same.

Anyways what appears to be happening - as far as I can tell - is jQuery is not included on the admin pages.

...go figure.

So include the 2.1.1 min file and voila, it works.

This is befuddling to me and I think it means there is something else wrong because I can't envision that the jQuery lib was left off of those pages or else EVERYONE would be experiencing issues.
Feb 13, 2015 at 8:17 PM
That is odd indeed.
I didn't compile the binaries myself when I upgraded last time, but I don't see how it could be related to jQuery.

The only issues I see on the admin pages are The BlogEngine.NET logo in the bottom right not loading because the ~ in the path is not getting processed, and still browser warnings that scripts are taking too long to execute.
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:01 AM
I can tell you that I had this issue and it was caused by the fact that I was typing the admin URL as www.mydomain.com/admin (no trailing slash) instead of www.mydomain.com/admin/. In the first case the login process redirects to www.mydomain.com/admin#/ and I would get a blank screen. If I login in at www.mydomain.com/admin/ (with a trailing slash) it redirects to www.mydomain.com/admin/#/ and everything is fine.
Feb 16, 2015 at 6:54 AM
Ah, actually had that problem as well in the past, but forgot all about it :S
May 8, 2015 at 3:41 PM
THANK YOU! That was the crux. Also had to make sure the right version of webPages was being used and not inherited.

Thorarin wrote:
If your blog is running in a application directory inside another .NET website, the problem could be with configuration settings being inherited.
I had to put:
<add key="webpages:Enabled" value="true" />
inside my <appSettings> section for BlogEngine.NET to have the admin pages work while running below an ASP.NET MVC website.