Google Summer of Code 2015 ( February 09)

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:41 PM
Hi All,

The Google Summer of Code 2015 program starts taking applications for 2015 starting on February 09, 2015

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015

Mentoring organization application deadline is 20 February: 19:00 UTC

I think BlogEngine.Net needs to join this program as WordPress had been doing this for about about 5 years straight.

This gives BlogEngine.Net Student developers a chance get paid for BE development plus BlogEngine.Net the organization gets $500 per student developer in the program.

Win win for both BE and Student developer.

Last year info:

Google will provide a total stipend of $6,000 USD per accepted student developer,

of which 5500 USD goes to the student and
500 USD goes to the mentoring organization.

Accepted students in good standing with their mentoring organization will receive a 500 USD stipend shortly after coding begins on 19 May, 2014.

Students who receive passing mid-term evaluations will receive a 2250 USD stipend shortly after the mid-term evaluation deadline, 27 June, 2014.

Students who receive passing final evaluations and who have submitted their final program evaluations will receive a 2750 USD stipend shortly after the final evaluation deadline, 22 August, 2014

Mentoring organizations must request their payments of 500 USD per student mentored by 14 November, 2014. Once payments are requested and a PO received, all invoicing must be completed by 31 December 2014.

Students and Eligibility
  1. Are there any age restrictions on participating?
Yes. You must be 18 years of age or older on or before 21 April, 2014 to be eligible to participate in Google Summer of Code in 2014.
  1. Who's eligible to participate as a student in Google Summer of Code?
In order to participate in the program, you must be a student. Google defines a student as an individual enrolled in or accepted into an accredited institution including (but not necessarily limited to) colleges, universities, masters programs, PhD programs and undergraduate programs. You should be prepared, upon registration, to provide Google with transcripts or other documentation from your accredited institution as proof of enrollment or admission status.

You must also be eligible to work in the country in which you'll reside throughout the duration of the program, e.g. if you are in the United States on an F-1 visa, you are welcome to apply to Google Summer of Code as long as you have U.S. work authorization.

For F-1 students applying for CPT, Google will furnish you with a letter you can provide to your university to get CPT established once your proposal to the program has been accepted.

While in the program you will not be employed by Google. However, the program is administered by Google and Google will act as your host organization for the duration of your program participation. Google is not able to provide any documents to establish you as an employee of Google for CPT purposes.

You should contact your school directly to determine if your participation is eligible for CPT with Google acting as host (not employer) during your program participation.

You may find it handy to print out this FAQ as part of your request to your university. You may not participate if prohibited by law.
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2015 at 9:30 PM
If there is an interest in this program, please respond. If we have few willing to participate, I"ll look into this.
Feb 5, 2015 at 9:50 PM
Hi Rtur,

I would like to participate as a student developer :)
Feb 21, 2015 at 5:22 AM
Hi All,

News from Google:

Applications for mentoring organizations for #gsoc2015 have now closed.

Thank you to our 416 applicants and good luck!

We announce accepted organizations for this year's program on 2 March at 19:00 UTC.

Rtur did you submit the application?

Have a great day!

Brian Davis
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2015 at 7:19 PM
Sorry Brian, I was waiting for someone else to join in, didn't seem like it makes sense with single participant. Should have done it anyway, my bad.
Feb 25, 2015 at 1:58 AM
Hi Rtur,

I also got busy and forgot about the deadline :)

Was hoping to spread the word more and get more people interested.

This being my last year in college, 2016 I won't be eligible to be a student developer.

Was hoping to get it in before I finish college :)

But, if there was not enough student developers it does not make sense to have just one :)

So in 2016 I can help as a Mentor if you like.

Now we have an entire year to get enough people interested.