BlogDotNet Login failure for any user other than admin

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Feb 6, 2015 at 3:10 PM
I downloaded the latest source (3.1) and am running the blog against a Database (not xml). It is a fresh installation and all I did was add some new users.
While the "admin" user logs in just fine, none of the other users are able to log in, says "Login Failed". No issues with password, I've reset and rechecked multiple times.
Wondering there is any settings that changed in the latest engine? Do let me know.

Thanks
Feb 6, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Hi N_Vikram,

Did you delete the following providers from your web.config file?

<add name="XmlMembershipProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlMembershipProvider, BlogEn
<add name="XmlRoleProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlRoleProvider,


If not it will still be using xml files for your roles and that could be the issue?
Feb 7, 2015 at 2:53 AM
kbdavis07 wrote:
Hi N_Vikram,

Did you delete the following providers from your web.config file?

<add name="XmlMembershipProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlMembershipProvider, BlogEn
<add name="XmlRoleProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlRoleProvider,


If not it will still be using xml files for your roles and that could be the issue?
Hi kbdavis07,
I tried this but no luck. However, I doubt if the web.config is the issue.
I can actually add new users and they get saved fine in the Db, so surely the application is picking the Db config from the web.config file and not the Xml config. Guessing this could be some other issue.

Thanks
Feb 7, 2015 at 4:23 AM
Hi N_Vikram,

So admin works but all other users don't?

Try this to see if I am right about something :)

Go to users.xml file and delete the admin users.

Now try to login with admin.

If it does not work then it means BE is not reading from the database.

It is writing to, but not reading from :)


Give that a try.
Feb 7, 2015 at 4:39 AM
Hi kbdavis07,
I just removed the admin user from users.xml and the login works just fine for admin. Other users are still unable to login. Seems strange and beats me :)
Feb 7, 2015 at 8:27 PM
Hi N_Vikram,


Well we at least know for sure it is not an role provider issue.

Next step, use FireBug to figure out the issue.
  1. Get http://getfirebug.com/network
  2. Enable Firebug and have the network tab selected.
  3. Login into BE with other users login info.
  4. Watch to see if you see any errors.
That should tell you what is wrong.


On side note I do remember some one else having the same issue a while back with BE 2.9 or BE 3.0 but can't remember or find the post with the issue yet.

Will post it here once I find it :)
Feb 10, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Hi kbdavis07,
Tried the above option as well. Nothing out of the ordinary. The console did not show any errors other than the below warnings,
__Password fields present on an insecure (http://) page. This is a security risk that allows user login credentials to be stolen.
Password fields present in a form with an insecure (http://) form action. This is a security risk that allows user login credentials to be stolen.__

Thanks