Email Notification Trouble

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jun 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I have BlogEngine setup on our companie's website hosted via Network Solutions.  Everything has been working great except for the email notifications.  I have setup the users email notification in the XML file and have also tried subscribing them using the Newsletter widget.  When a blog is posted an email does not seem to get generated.  I have 2 staff that are setup (as editors) to do the posts for which an email should be generated.  I have the mail server pointed to our companies mail server with a valid address of one of our staff.  I have been able to login in successfully as "admin" and post a test entry and have it work sporadically.  After a sucessful test notification comes through it may work for a few minutes and then stops working again.  I'm not really understanding what is going on with it.  Should I be using a mail server of someone other than ourselves?  If anyone has any suggestions or has had similar issues please let me know.  Thanks for any help with this!

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Which version of BE are you using?  There was a problem thru BE 1.5 (version where Comment Notification Emails weren't getting sent correctly.  This isn't the Newsletter emails, but the Comment Newsletter Emails someone can ask for by checking the box when leaving a comment.  This particular problem was fixed in BE on April 14th.  If you're using BE or earlier, upgrading to the latest build will resolve this particular issue.  The latest build can be downloaded on the Source Code tab above.  Compiling the BE core project is required when downloading these builds.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I am using BE 1.4.5.  It's not a problem with the comment notification emails (these links are disabled), just the Newsletter emails.  We just need the functionality of sending out an email when a new post is available.  Maybe I will try upgrading to the latest version.  I am hosting at Network Solutions and I'm not sure if they have the latest version available.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:58 PM

There was actually a problem with the Newsletter widget that was fixed on May 1st.  This could be the problem you are seeing.

The problem was that the Newsletter widget would only send out emails when you are saving a post for the first time and it is marked as 'published'.  If the first time you saved the post, it was marked as 'unpublished', and you then later published it (by marking the 'Publish' checkbox) and saved it, then newsletter emails would not get sent out.

This was changed in the May 1st update -- so every time a post is going from an unpublished state to a published state, newsletter emails are sent out.