BE 1.5 Page directive error.

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jun 11, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I have installed 1.5 and have it configured to use MS SQL. It appears to be running fine. However when I load it up in VS 2005 and open any page in the code view almost all of it has red underlines. Most say uppercase letters are not allowed. However I don’t think that’s what the problem is The page directive is underlined showing this error…

ASP.NET runtime error: It is an error to use a section registered as allowdefinition=’MachineToApplication’ beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\phoenix\blog\web.config line 9)

Web.config line 9 reads as follows…

<blogProvider defaultProvider="DbBlogProvider">

I have put this in an existing ASP site so it is a sub folder on the site root. The site itself is configured as an ASP site using  ASP.NET version 2.0.50727 and the BE folder basically inherited that.

Any ideas what could be going on with this?

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Hmmm…

Just tried opening the BlogEngine.NET 1.5 (web) file in Visual Studio. VS really doesn’t like this. I thought perhaps it had something to do with the way I had it installed but apparently not. This was the download that I had placed in a local folder. When I opened it in VS I get red underlines everywhere.

Wondering if I should try  1.4

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Initial googleing suggest that the problem arises from having 2 web.config files even though one is in a subfolder.

Not sure what to do about this.

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM

If you have BE in a sub-folder, then when you open BE in VS, you should open the folder BE is in -- not the parent folder.  See this discussion.

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:14 AM

I have installed BE as a subfolder to an existing application it is running just fine all you have to do is combine both the web.config file. i.e. remove the web.config file of the BE and add the elements from BE web.config to your main application web.config.

:Ajay

http://wwww.ajaymatharu.com