RSS (syndication.axd) works for ~1 hr, then 404

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I've an installation of BlogEngine.NET running on top of Mono 2.4 via mod_mono and Apache.  Aside from the to-be-expected quirks (path casing differences and the like), I have one relatively major issue:  The RSS feed works for only the first hour after bringing up the Web server.  After that, BlogEngine.NET returns a 404 error.

The location of the RSS feed is:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/syndication.axd?format=rss

Joseph Hill of the Mono team helped me a good deal with getting the configuration correct and running, as I was having some difficulty with things like comments not working (apparently there was a workaround in place for earlier versions of Mono that was actually inhibiting the comments from being submitted correctly on later versions of Mono) and a few other minor things.  For the most part, I have worked around filesystem casing issues and dangling references by creating symlinks to correct those issues.  However, this issue with the syndication.axd feed confuses me.

After roughly one hour of (Apache/mod_mono) uptime, BlogEngine.NET starts redirecting requests for syndication.axd to a 404 page.  Looking at the page from the localhost does not yield any stack trace information nor any error other than 404, so I haven't any clue where to start looking for the problem, much less a fix for it.  Of course, bouncing the Web server hourly really isn't an option for me; I run many other Web sites off the same server.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this issue?  This is BE.NET 1.5.0.7.

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2009 at 8:15 AM

You're getting redirected to error404.aspx when an unhandled error occurs.  If you change the <customErrors> tag in your web.config file to the following tag, you should start seeing an actual error message -- rather than being redirected to error404.aspx.

<customErrors mode="Off">

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:04 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2009 at 7:05 PM

The customErrors is set to remote only. When I view the blog using a Web browser running on the server, all that I get is an error in the /blog application, stating that the resource was not found, with no traceback information.

I have modified the setting, and now it shows to everyone what it shows to me, a "Server Error in '/blog' Application" with an HTTP 404 message. There is no additional information present.

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I've not used Mono before, but it could be that the virtual syndication.axd file is not being recognized as a virtual file.  I Googled for "mono handler 404" ... one possible solution could be this one where the person setup an alias.

This situation could be further complicated by having BE in a subfolder and also using a subdomain -- depending on whether there's any type of URL rewriting going for the subdomain.  Although it's odd the RSS feed works at first, then just starts returning a 404.