New Installation to point to DB from Previous BE

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Apr 12, 2015 at 3:11 AM
Hello, I've been scouring the documentation for BlogEngine, in an attempt to find information about pointing my new installation of BE 3.1 to a Database that we have been using for BE 2.6.

I have found 2 pieces of information about how to modify this new BE 3.1 Installation:
  1. You need to modify connection string to point to your database and switch from XML to DB provider in these 3 places:
    defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider" -> defaultProvider="DbBlogProvider"
    membership defaultProvider="XmlMembershipProvider" -> membership defaultProvider="DbMembershipProvider"
    roleManager defaultProvider="XmlRoleProvider" -> roleManager defaultProvider="DbRoleProvider"
Could someone could clarify this? This is not very apparent. When I attempt to modify the web.config as mentioned, I get an error.
  1. I read that I should delete everything from the App_Data Folder of the new BE 3.1, then copy all of the contents from my previous BE 2.6 App_Data into that App_Data from BE 3.1.
I did that, but did not resolve the DB connectivity problem. Also what appeared in the Default Theme was "Welcome to BE 2.6"

Here is my test BE 3.1:

Does anyone know of a better source or documentation about how I can go about connecting to a previous BE Database?
Apr 15, 2015 at 4:40 AM
It says:

Welcome to BlogEngine.NET 3.1

But, appears to be running on XML through.
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:56 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2015 at 1:53 AM

Now Indicates: Welcome to BlogEngine.NET 3.1 using Microsoft SQL Server
Apr 16, 2015 at 1:58 AM
Looks like you got your SQL server working with BE now :)