XML problem prevents setting User roles, post authors, post categories, changing themes, etc.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:07 AM
Edited Jul 26, 2009 at 7:08 AM

I am having a strange problem that honestly has me baffled.

I was running a 1.5 installation and it was working fine.  Then, after a week of working, a number of tasks started failing.

The most obvious is that when I post an entry, the author & the categories are left blank.   It creates the post, but when you see it on-screen, the author & categories are blank.   And when you go and look at the post XML, you can clearly see "<author />"  and "<categories />".  If I go into the XML and manually change those values, it appears properly.

A similar problem seems to happen when I go to set the role on a newly created user, or even on changing the blog theme (again, it just appears blank).

I installed BE 1.5 in another directory, same problem.  I installed 1.45 in yet another directory (making sure all the directory names were new and not reused, just in case) -- and it still happens.

So, I'm thinking it has to be something systemic.  But what would cause this?  It worked fine long enough for me to get everything set up, but now it's failing all over the place.

I double checked, all the directories have write permissions, etc.  (And it does manage to create the post XML file, for instance), but some of the entries get left blank.

Any idea what would cause this?  

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM

No one?   No idea at all?