Share Buttons

Topics: Themes
Dec 16, 2015 at 6:58 PM
Recently noticed I’d been getting a number of JavaScript errors, turns out that the source of these errors was one of these all singing share button scripts that I’d been using. I was well aware that these things can add hundreds of kilobytes to page load, which is bad enough, but what concerned me more was the type of scripts trying to load (advertising trackers and such like). Started investigating and came across articles that question whether or not we should even be using share buttons.

Anyway, upshot of it all was that I decided to keep the share buttons but in a way that incurs next to no overhead or security risk. This meant doing without the share counts and possibly any of the more useful tracking - since that’s primarily why you would include the scripts, but do you really want to show the count anyway (unless of course the share counts are enviably high).
Fair to say that some share services are better, faster and less intrusive than others but all I want is to offer the convenience of share buttons without all the extra stuff, you can do analytics elsewhere.

So hard-coded a first crack at this into the theme’s post view and here’s the result, nothing that hasn’t been done before, but I think this works (matches theme with minimalist look using links only).

Curious as to what others think on this subject, those who use some kind of share plugin or don’t, is it worth having share buttons and if so should they be bare bones?
Dec 17, 2015 at 8:49 PM
Personally tend to use bare bones, but for "normal" users it may not be an option.
Dec 18, 2015 at 3:53 PM
Useful post, found myself smiling inwardly reading paragraph 3, “surely they want you to suffer… ” – so true. For those that might not be all that comfortable coding and if there is sufficient interest I’ll maybe do a link only share extension and then people can choose what suits: Existing “Add This” style extension, DIY or bare bones.
Dec 23, 2015 at 12:48 PM
Very good, but if i leave old extension Addthisdotnetv5 (disable) with share Facebook/Twitter, i obtain this error: startIndex cannot be less than zero with BlogEngine 2.7.

What can i do for solve this problem?

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:31 PM
Don't have a copy of Addthisdotnetv5 but did try with Addthisdotnetv4 on BE 2.7 but couldn't reproduce error(tried various configurations).
Dec 27, 2015 at 1:18 PM
Andy this error happen when i make New Post, Write, and I save it. Result is only this "StartIndex cannot be less than zero" and i don't see what i have written..

In local if i disable extension Addthisdotnetv 5 work, online i have error StartIndex cannot be less than zero.

In this post with BenAmada, speaks about problem with Blogengine.core for BE 2.5 and recommended to download folder BIN. If you read last comment problem is present also in BE 2.8.

which could be the cause??? Tell me if you need other information of code!! Thankss!