Themes - Convert WordPress To BLogEngine

Topics: Themes
Aug 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM
Edited Aug 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM

First of all, I'm very new to BlogEngine and I am not a .Net developer.  I've also spent a fair amount of time getting to know BlogEngine by reading this forum and other's blogs.

I'm having trouble converting WordPress themes to BlogEngine themes.  I've read the "how to" guide at and I've watched the video on creating themes at  These resources have been invaluable in getting me started but, alas, I've run into some difficulties.

I'm starting with 2 Wordpress Templates.  The first called Fusion can be found here: The second called iNove can be found here:   Here's my problem: my Fusion conversion works pretty well, the iNove conversion won't work at all.  I'm lookin for some help converting iNove.

I'm trying to do exactly what I did with Fusion (per the guide) template to get iNove to work.  Basically, that is:

1. create a basic BlogEngine site.master, postview.aspx and commentview.aspx.
  2. copy the html from the demo/preview of iNove
  3. make changes to the iNove HTML.

My problem is that no matter what I do, I can't get BlogEngine Controls to display inside the iNove HTML that I copy in.

To troubleshoot, I've started over several times.  I can:

1. create the basic blogengine site.master, etc.
  2. copy the iNove HTML below the standard site.master code but inside its <body> tag.
  3. Preview Blogengine using the iNove template.  When I Preview, I see is the BlogEngine post entries on the top of the page and the html from the iNove template rendered below.  This confirms (to me anyway) that both BlogEngine and the template HTML are working within site.master.

Next, I cut and paste the following code

<!-- BlogEngine Post  -->
<form runat="Server">blogengine
 <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="cphBody" runat="server" ></div>
<!-- BlogEngine Post  -->

into the "posts" section of the template.  As soon as I do that, the template breaks - when I preview my template, Blogengine displays the previously saved template with the Ooops! couldn't find the page message.

Note that I'm working inside my validated site.master so I'm fiarly certain I have everything I need in order to use BlogEngine controls.  And, I verify that I only have one instance of "cphBody" inside the <body> tag at any point in time.

I find it interesting that before I cut and past into the "post" section, I can use other BLogEngine controls in the template HTML.  For example, I can put <%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>"><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Name %> in place of the hard coded template title and it works until I move the "cphBody" into the body of my template.

Just to reiterate, when I do the exact same procedures in the Fusion template, it works fine.  Can anyone provide any pointers as to what I"m might be doing wrong with the iNove template or what could be different between Fusion and iNove?  I can provide copies of the site.master files if needed - I couldn't figure out how to attach files to this post.

THanks in advance for your help.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Take a look here, you might save yourself some time - the Inove already been ported to BE.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Thank you so much for this quick response.  And now I have another BlogEngine resource to search before posting a message on this forum :).