Installation instructions stink

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I watched the video about installing blog engine .NET, and I think they are inadequate for people who are new to web site construction.

I wanted to use this blog engine, so I watched the video and followed it's instructions to the letter! I installed it to my localhosts folder in:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\BlogEngine

And I configured everything in IIS, just like your little movie says.

But when I browse to the site in my web browser:

localhost/blogengine

I get a standard 404 error:

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Obviously you guys are experts at this, but your docuemtation is not adequate. You really need a WRITTEN document, not some silly movie that I have to pause every second to follow the instructions. 

I also looked at your troubleshooting document, and it's answers also don't fix my problem.

I guess I just have to conclude that this blog engine just doesn't work. On the other hand, I installed a word-press blog, and it just plain old works, right out of the box.

Chris J. 

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:43 PM

LOL,

not wishing to be rude, but thousands of other people have successfully managed to get BE.NET working perfectly well, so tell me, how does it feel to be the one person on the entire planet to have tried and failed?

I guess you should be questioning your own abilities rather than blaming the documentation... Ever considered flower arranging??

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM

A lot of pple have downloaded, try to install, and faild.

then installed WP and got it working.

Most pple won't write a bad comments about a produt that is not working... they will just drag it to the trash, and try something else.

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM
stakked wrote:

A lot of pple have downloaded, try to install, and faild.

then installed WP and got it working.

Most pple won't write a bad comments about a produt that is not working... they will just drag it to the trash, and try something else.

yeah maybe youre right but BE.NET and Wordpress (in my opinion) are aimed at different audiences.

If they want to mess about with nasty old PHP because they cant get a simple to setup ASP.NET app to work then i say good luck to them - they are probably better suited to Wordpress anyways..

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM

You could also try to use Microsoft's Web Platform Installer to install it:

http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/BlogEngine.aspx

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:45 AM

I finally did get this to work, but no thanks to the documentation on this site.

I had to google endless amounts of pages on how to resolve error 404 messages.

Here are some of the things I did:

1. Started up the IIS manager, and under my local computer, I selected 'Web Services Extensions' I selected some web services extensions and set them all to 'Allowed'. More information on that here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315122

2. When I started, I did not have a web service extension for ASP.NET. I also installed a 'Web Service Extension' for ASP.NET as described here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/ae027513-be3d-4abe-bca3-09af1410ba9f.

After doing those two things, and further mucking around I am now able to get BlogEngine to work.

Notes:

Eking: Thanks for your help, but I did get it to work.

JoeBourne: I don't respond to insults.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:31 AM

my 2 cents is that BE is extremely simple to install and use... you probably just needed more help or were not skilled enough to understand the documentation.  For example I am useless when it comes to cars, and if I bought a manual on how to do some complex work on the car, but didn't understand the manual - I would think I needed to learn more and then come back to the manual later...... 

I think BE documentation is very solid, but of course a total newbie can't just walk into it... there are prerequisites and it isn't BE's job to teach you those prerequisites

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:42 AM

Chris, I'm glad you finally got it working. It's never fun pulling out your hair trying to get a piece of software to work.

To be fair to BlogEngine, the issues you were encountering seem to be server configuration settings. The installation of BlogEngine does presume a working web server installation capable of serving ASP.NET pages. Without that, of course BlogEngine will not run. But setting up such a server environment is well out of the scope of BlogEngine documentation, so I'm not surprised you didn't find any answers to your questions there.

I'm a little surprised at the "ever considered flower arranging?" comments, but then again, you started the insult string with the "installation instructions stink" title. Perhaps a little more tact and better detail would have gotten you the response you were hoping for?

- Eric

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:51 AM

If you start a thread with insults, you must expect insults in return.

Posts like yours make me quite angry. BE.NET is not a commercial product, you havent paid any money for it, and nobody is forcing you to use it.

Many good people spend a lot of their free time developing BE.NET and they provide it FREE to the community, so for you to insult all of their hard work by saying their installation instructions"stink" is very unfair.

Based on you above comments, the shortfalls are not with the BE.NET instructions, rather your inability to provide the one basic prerequisite of any .NET website - ie a working webserver with ASP.NET enabled.

Why not turn this into a contructive thread and provide exact detailed steps that you took to get BE.NET working? contribute to the documentation yourself - its a community project so join the community...

By the way, welcome to the BE.NET community! :)