Some issues with Widget Panel

Topics: Controls
Aug 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Hi Guys,

Firstly I want to say well done for an awesome job.  Sorry if this has been mentioned but I did search for a while and I'm not surprised that there isn't one relating to my problem as I didn't have this problem with BE 1.4.5  I'm having some issues with the widget panel as follows:

1. I can not add any widgets to the widgets panel. Tried both FireFox and IE.

2. If I try to delete the text box, the screen goes modal and I can't exit - I have to close the tab or refresh.

3. No response when trying to del other widgets (similar to point 1)

I downloaded yesterday and I have 1.5.07 currently installed. So what gives?

Appplogies if I missed something obvious.

Cheers,

Abbs

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM

It could be that the JavaScript file used to edit, add and delete widgets isn't getting loaded in the browser -- or some JavaScript error is occurring.

In Firefox, if you pull up the Error Console (Tools -> Error Console), try doing some of the things you can't do and see if any errors get reported in the error console.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM
Edited Aug 16, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Ben.

I forgot (not enough sleep!) to mention that on my PC it's working fine .  This is happening with my web host. However, I'm also running BE 1.4.5 with them and I don't have this problem. The difference is that I'm running 1.5.0.7 on the root and the former /blog

I get the same error 'BlogEngine is not defined' for all the above actions (adding, editing or deleting a widget)

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM

If you're getting the error "BlogEngine is not defined", make sure the blog.js file in the root of your installation is the BE 1.5 version.  The blog.js file underwent a large transformation in BE 1.5.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I just recopied the entire site again and it seems to be working now. I have no idea what went wrong in the first place since it's the same site version 1.5.07.

Thanks though for you help Ben.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

First, I would like to thank everyone who worked on this software, very nice job.  Next, I have an issue with the edit widget (goes modal and stops), after I've uploaded the site to my hosting provider IPowerWeb.com.  On my laptop(Vista) it all works fine, on Ubuntu 9.10 using Apache 2 with the mod_mono module there are display issues and the edit widget isn't working (Ooops! I can't find page), which I think has to do with a Mono/Apache setting. 

I haven't seen anything in the forums that has helped with the modal issue.  I deleted the blog app and will upload it again but will likely still get the "BlogEngine is not defined" error.  I will let you know if I find out anything different.

Great Job,

Robert

PS: I still got the same issue with the edit widget after deleting and uploading, "Error: BlogEngine is not defined
Source File: http://wuttech.com/blogweb/js.axd?path=%2fblogweb%2fadmin%2fwidget.js&v=1.5.0.7
Line: 5".

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Same issue here, any solution to this??

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

jtoth55:  Are you on Linux?  And what doesn't work ... ?  Can you add widgets? delete widgets? edit widgets? move widgets?

If you have Firefox available, check the Error Console (Tools -> Error Console) and see if any errors are showing up when you try to do whatever it is you cannot currently do.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:41 AM

Hi Ben,

I’m using Ubuntu 9.10 and the edit widget isn’t working.  Haven’t tried to add or edit any.

Sent: Friday, January 01, 2010 12:25 PM
To: rburkhal@wuttech.com
Subject: Re: Some issues with Widget Panel [blogengine:65813]

jtoth55: Are you on Linux? And what doesn't work ... ? Can you add widgets? delete widgets? edit widgets? move widgets?

If you have Firefox available, check the Error Console (Tools -> Error Console) and see if any errors are showing up when you try to do whatever it is you cannot currently do.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.725 / Virus Database: 270.14.124/2596 - Release Date: 01/01/10 02:20:00

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Hello

I got the same problem with BE 1.5.0.7. Got the error

Fel: BlogEngine is not defined
Källkodsfil: http://www.nissesblog.se/js.axd?path=%2fadmin%2fwidget.js&v=1.5.0.7
Rad: 5

I've downloaded the latest version from codeplex and uploaded it to my server but the error is still there. Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2010 at 7:49 AM

@esson: wow, this person just had a very similar problem.  Not sure if the cause is the same.

The problem on your site is the JavaScript handler (js.axd) is returning a blank document, instead of JavaScript:

http://www.nissesblog.se/js.axd?path=%2fblog.js&v=1.5.0.7

What I would try is open up the BLOG.JS file in the root of your blog.  The very top line is this:

// global object

Delete that line -- it's not needed.  After deleting it, restart your blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).

Then pull up your blog again.  You might need to do a no-cache refresh in your browser (Ctrl-F5) to clear out any old cached JavaScript files.

Then see if things start working.  You can check that URL above.  It should start returning content, instead of a blank document.

@rburkhal:  I would make try doing the same thing to see if it helps.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:08 AM

@BenAmada

Thanks for you quick answer and this helped. I'v downloaded the latest version from codeplex so it is abit strange that this happend. But it works for me now!

Thanks alot!

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Hi Ben,

That was the problem the // for some reason was killing the script.  Removed it and its working now, you’re the man.

Robert

Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 1:50 AM
To: rburkhal@wuttech.com
Subject: Re: Some issues with Widget Panel [blogengine:65813]

@esson: wow, this person just had a very similar problem. Not sure if the cause is the same.

The problem on your site is the JavaScript handler (js.axd) is returning a blank document, instead of JavaScript:

http://www.nissesblog.se/js.axd?path=%2fblog.js&v=1.5.0.7

What I would try is open up the BLOG.JS file in the root of your blog. The very top line is this:

// global object

Delete that line -- it's not needed. After deleting it, restart your blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).

Then pull up your blog again. You might need to do a no-cache refresh in your browser (Ctrl-F5) to clear out any old cached JavaScript files.

Then see if things start working. You can check that URL above. It should start returning content, instead of a blank document.

@rburkhal: I would make try doing the same thing to see if it helps.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.725 / Virus Database: 270.14.124/2598 - Release Date: 01/03/10 02:41:00