Total noob starting off with 3.3.5 needs some insight please...

Topics: Controls, Themes
May 4 at 12:21 AM
So the need for a blog/discussion arouse, and I looked around at open source options and "LO' N' BEHOLD" I discover BogEngine .net on the release day of 3.3.5!!! I

I am coming from an ASP.NET 4.6 and MVC environment. It has been a few since I have slogged through some webforms code. Really cool stuff!! Please excuse my noobness...

So I am jumping right in on the new stuff, or at least trying. I have managed to ingest enough of the code to get started. Basically looking to strip down a theme and embed in the site I am working on. I am basically using <embed></embed> in one of my Views. for now, but hope to develop some intra-site integration, as they will be running in parallel on my server...

I tried to get a Razor Theme going. I assume the RazorHost is an example theme?? Almost got somewhere... but ended up going back to webform theme. Basically I just made a copy of DarkStar. Which I have up and running locally!!!

How do you style the new widgets??? I saw the tutorial from rutr.net for 3.3:
http://www.rtur.net/blog/post/2016/05/02/building-widgets-for-blogengine-net-3-3
It only addresses applying style to the admin tool???

This is the important part. I have not touched much from the original, except some renaming issues. Added my own widget zone, which just has one widget for now, PostList...
<body class="<%=Resources.labels.LangDirection %>">
    <form runat="Server">
        <div class="container">
            <header class="blog-header clearfix">
                <h1 class="blog-logo pull-left">
                    <a title="<%=BlogSettings.Instance.Description %>" href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>"><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Name %></a>
                </h1>
            </header>
            <div class="row">
                <div class="col-sm-8 blog-content">
                    <blog:SearchOnSearch ID="SearchOnSearch1" runat="server" MaxResults="3" Headline="You searched for" Text="Here are some results for the search term on this website" />
                    <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="cphBody" runat="server" />
                </div>
                <div class="col-sm-4 blog-sidebar">
                    <blog:WidgetZone ID="WidgetZone2" runat="server" ZoneName="MY_WIDGET_ZONE" />
                    <%--<blog:WidgetZone ID="WidgetZone1" runat="server" ZoneName="be_WIDGET_ZONE" />--%>
                </div>
            </div>
            <footer class="blog-footer clearfix">
                <p class="pull-left">Copyright &copy; <%=DateTime.Now.Year %> <a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>"><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Name %></a> <span>-</span> Powered by <a href="http://dotnetblogengine.net" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">BlogEngine.NET</a> <%=BlogSettings.Instance.Version() %> <span>-</span> Design by <a href="https://hackinc.us" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Hack Inc.</a> </p>
                <ul class="pull-right social-network"></ul>
                <a runat="server" id="aLogin" hidden></a>
            </footer>
        </div>
    </form>
    <script src="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>/Custom/Themes/DefaultWeb/src/js/bootstrap.min.js"></script>
    <script src="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>/Custom/Themes/DefaultWeb/src/js/custom.js"></script>
</body>
And I have the same webforms as DarkStar, and here is where I get a little lost. I have a vague idea of the whole wire-up that happens with the themes. But lost on base/admin themes and where I can override the widget styling....

One other question about the wire up. Is it just setting MasterPageFile it and everything auto-magically works. From chtml or apsx, how do you call/set another site.master. Using Response.Redirect in either get me nowhere!

So basically what default is doing for me already at startup. Figures my theme out and sets the relative root appropriately, right? Where is the API/mechanism that does that?

I hope this site project is still active/monitored...
Thanks for any insight. It is greatly appreciated!!!
I'll share my site once its up to show my integration.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Eric