Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I just downloaded BE 1.5 Web and attempted to update my1.4 blog first by copying the content from App_Data.  I am using the default configuration (XML), and I get this error:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Is no one else having this problem?  I've seen it elsewhere, but it was for a SQL installation.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Got the same issue...

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I figured out what was the issue in my case... and I presume this can be extended to other similar cases.

In IIS hosted folder of my web site I deleted all files except App_Data folder. I copied the new version, but somehow files from App_Data/pages folder where copied to my web site's App_Data/pages. So I had one page named "b663b6a1-1c34-4c60-a891-c14772507b23.xml" which exists also in the new deployed version as an example page. So whithout paying any attention I allowed Windows Explorer to copy it with the new name "b663b6a1-1c34-4c60-a891-c14772507b23 (2).xml". So when the newly deployed application starts, in Global.asax, it "inventories" the pages and posts (which have GUIDs as file names) and it find a file with a non-GUID name: "b663b6a1-1c34-4c60-a891-c14772507b23 (2).xml". Therefore it throws the Exception.

I think the best solution to this issue would be to catch in the code this kind of exception and log it or display it to the user so that one can take immediate action upon upgrade and fix the GUID issue (by deleting or renaming these items).