Comment moderation Rule bug 1.5.1.22

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I have recently deployed a new version of blogengine.net for a customer and have stumbled into a problem.

We had an old version (1.5.0.7) in which publish did not work as it should so we decided to upgrade to the latest build (plus alot of design changes and widgets and whatnot).

so, we create the new blog with all changes, on dev + test server everything is ok and moderation worked. Then we start by migrating the xml-datastore to database on live with (http://www.nyveldt.com/blog/page/BlogEngineNET-Provider-Migration.aspx) BlogMigration tool, copy over the new blog, change virtual dir and fix all the users/widgets. Everything is fine we thought, and the live server goes back in production.

Then comments are appearing on the blog without moderation, which is pretty bad legal-wise. Moderation worked fine on test & dev but on live it bugged out.

After some clicking around on both test and dev, i "succeed" in breaking both test and dev so that now all sites are stuck in, what i guess, is Automatic moderation. I changed to automatic, saved, then changed back and saved, in (i think) firefox which shows the boxes that are intended to disappear when moderation is manual. This could be a symptom, not sure. Live was always set to manual moderation, yet on startup it was already stuck on automatic.

I have tried changing the database be_settings table manually, but it is updated correctly from settings page so be_settings.moderationtype = 0. All comments are automatically approved by moderator "Rule" but i still get the moderation emails. And yes, web.config is correctly set to use DbBlogProvider for everything.

Anyone else seen this?

TLDR; changed to automatic moderation, site is now stuck there.

Thanks for any input // Jonas

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Hi Jonas,

I have also deployed it to live server and just ran into problem with FF not firing JS when tried to switch between manual and auto moderation. It works fine in IE, and it works in FF on local installation, but on the host JS seems not to work. If this is what you see, try to use IE to update moderation state for now. I'll check it out tonight to find what the issue is. If it is something else, drop me email and I'll try to help you get it working.

 

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Looks like FireFox 3 is the only browser that requires to use document.getElementById for style selectors. You should be good if get latest from ~/admin/comments folder (build 1.5.1.23).

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Hi rtur (Arthur?)

Sadly this is not the problem i think. I can see the settings fine in IE7/8 and the settings stay changed, it even sets the database be_settings.moderationtype = 0 correctly. Still comments appear on the site without moderation and in the admin system you can see the comment approved by "Rule".

Now we are trying to hardcode the blog so that it always puts "isApproved = 0" in the database whatever the other bits of code think. If you have an idea of where we should look for this, please advise, since its quite a bit of code to traverse.

Yes, we are desperate :)

 

/Jonas

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Ok, we tried the 1.5.1.22 version and debugged a clean version and added comment, which throws an exception. Guess you saw this and fixed with the latest update, thank youuuuu!! I interpreted the above posts from you that only the javascript on editpage was fixed.

Now we're implementing it with the newest version and hopefully all our problems will disappear.

 

If you dont hear from me again, consider my issues resolved!

 

/Jonas