Admin user can no longer login

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Sep 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM

First off im a complete novice with BE so if ive missed something in the docs that solves my issue i do apologise!

We have a BE blog setup for one of our clients. This was setup before i started so have no idea about how it was done etc. My client has just called up to say that they cannot login to their blog anymore. They have always used the admin/admin combination. I have checked myself and when going to login.aspx i see that that username and password combo doesnt work. Ive dug around the folders and found the users.xml file which has other passwords hashed.

The client logged in on friday with these details fine, but now they cannot. is there anything obvious that may have caused this? The server config/setup has not been touched so i have no idea why this would be happening. It is a W2K3 box using the XML storage and membership option

Any help here is greatly appreciated

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Ok, i have managed to work around it by adding a user i knew the password for to the admin roles in the xml and i could then login. I created a new "Admin" users and reset the account i used to get into the system with.

One question though, i have read posts on here that suggest the admin/admin user should always work regardless if they are in the users.xml password or not, is this correct?