Can't Delete Blogengine Post

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Oct 4, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Hey guys, I am having problems with my blogening all of a sudden, it will not let me delete blogengine posts. If you visit my site you will notice the last 3 posts are the same and I cannot delete any of them. When I try I just get a blank screen that says bad request on this url (http://newtupac.com/post/2009/10/04/New-2009*-Say-My-Name-Eminem-ft-2pac-Nate-Dogg.aspx?deletepost=66b1814e-a3ad-43c6-b2e3-0c089e305637).

Blog Url; http://newtupac.com

I went into appdata/files/2009 and seen there was 3 folders named 07,08,09 , so I figured I would create a 10 folder to see if this would work and never worked.

I would really appreciate the help here, this is driving me nuts.

Thanks

Jesse

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Just a guess, but I think the asterisk in the URL is causing the problem.  The 'Bad Request' is probably some type of URL Scan program installed on the web server (at a web host?) that scans URLs for potentially dangerous characters.

I would Edit the post, and remove the asterisk from the slug.  You can leave it in the Title -- just need to remove it from the slug.

In case you didn't notice, the same Bad Request occurs when trying to just pull up the individual post (not even a deletion attempt).

http://newtupac.com/post/2009/10/04/New-2009*-Say-My-Name-Eminem-ft-2pac-Nate-Dogg.aspx

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Hi BenAmanda, thank you kindly for the response, let me update you on whats going on since this.

Okay so I have been having a problem with my blog, it first started out I could not erase posts from my blog. So I figured I would have to manually delete them from my SQL database, so as it turns out I forgot my Sql password. So godaddy suggested that I reset my password, which I did and logged into my database to see that those posts were not posting in my database, so I checked in my app code folder, under 2009 and seen 3 folders ( o7, 08, 09, but 10 was missing in which the content would of been placed) this likely the reason why I could not delete these posted posts. Now it gets even worse, since changing my database password I could not login to my blog at all. Godaddy rep suggested that I go into my webconfig file and change the password in there to the updated database password. I have done this and cannot login still. This is driving me nuts.

p.s - I think this is happening all because initially I had godaddy switch one of my hosting accounts from iie6 to iie7, I'm thinking after this occured I was supposed to go into my app data or app code and allow write permissions?

Can anyone help me with this? I am just looking for an easy way to add a new login or restore my old login.

Brick wall

I feel so bad rite now after 24 hours of trying everything

Sincerely;

Jesse Grant

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM

The App_Data\files folder, where you see the 07, 08 and 09 folders for 2009 are used to store images and file downloads in your blog posts.

The actual blog posts themselves are either stored in the DB (be_Posts table) or in the App_Data\posts folder.

If you check the web.config file in the root of your blog, you'll find a line in there similar to:

<blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">

If the "defaultProvider" is "XmlBlogProvider", that means your posts are being stored in the file system, under App_Data\posts.  However, if the "defaultProvider" is "DbBlogProvider", that means your posts are being stored in the DB (in the be_Posts table).

For logging in, similar to posts, your login credentials are either stored in the file system or in the DB.  If you look in the web.config file again, you'll file a line in there similar to:

<membership defaultProvider="XmlMembershipProvider">

If the "defaultProvider" is "XmlMembershipProvider", that means your username and password is stored in the users.xml file in the App_Data folder.  However, if the "defaultProvider" is DbMembershipProvider, this means your username and password is stored in the DB (in the be_Users table).

Once you determine where your username/password data is coming from (users.xml or the DB be_Users table), you can reset the password to the default password -- admin.  To do this, clear out the password value.  If your blog is using the users.xml file, then change the password in that file so it looks like:

<Password></Password>

If your blog is storing the username/passwords in the DB, you can clear out the passwords in the be_Users table with the following SQL statement:

UPDATE be_Users SET Password = ''

(this would clear out the password for all users you may have in your blog)

After clearing out the password, because the old password may be cached in memory by the blog, you may need to re-start the blog so the latest password is retrieved from the DB when you try to login.  You can restart the blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).  After doing this, try logging in with the default password -- admin.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Omg Omg Omg, you are the greatest, and I managed to learn a bunch as well :P. Thank you for the quick response and patient post. Your steps were really clear and I am now logged back into my blog.  Now it is a matter of figuring out the original problem that was creating the errors that wouldn't allow me to delete the posts.  Both my blog and password were in the DB , and I have looked over my DB to clear those 3 entries that I think were creating the error but cannot find them. When I try to delete them from the blog itself I am being redirected to a blank page that says bad request (http://newtupac.com/post/2009/10/04/New-2009*-Say-My-Name-Eminem-ft-2pac-Nate-Dogg.aspx?deletepost=ea7e78b8-7281-4570-9f4f-70ee635609dc).

I am going to snoop around my database to see if I can delete these posts within there if I can ever find them.

I really want to thank you BenAmanda , you provided me with alot of great support. I have always loved Blogengine and have refrained from using Wordpress, partially because I am learning more stuff as I go.

Let me know if you need any kind of website backlinks or anything

Sincerely;

Jesse Grant

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:04 AM

HaHa , you are the greatest! I removed the asterix from the slub and published then deleted rite from the blog without a problem.

Thank you kindly BenAmanda;

Booyaaaah (one happy blogengine user)