Comment spam management

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I've recently become the target of a great amount of comment spam.

It would be nice to have some kind of tool to manage the comments, my first priority being able to delete a great number of them via a DataGrid-like control.  Currently I'm only aware of being able to delete comments by individual clicking the delete LinkButton next to each comment, which refreshes the page and sets the focus back to the top of the page.  A very painful way to delete multiple comments.

In the meantime, I've also upgraded to the latest version (1.5 of BlogEngine) and installed the AkismetExtension by Justin Etheredge to hopefully reduce the likelyhood of getting a comment that is spam.

I also see from searching the discussions that there is another tool by developer here called Commentor.

Three things:

1.  Are there plans to add an administrative interface to manage comments?

2.  Why isn't Commentor in the Blog Engine Extensions project?  (http://blogengineextensions.codeplex.com/)  Looking around trying to find a solution was a pain.  Would be nice if there was a central approved place for extensions.  Is that project gone stale?

3.  I like what I see with Commentor extension but I don't want to have to be forced to do moderation.  I would rather manage by exception.  All comments go thru, I'll come back later and delete ones that are spam.  I don't like when I go to someone's blog to post a comment and it says something to the affect of, come back later when we've approved your comment.

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2009 at 8:14 PM

1. It is in the works and latest builds already have comment management, although not yet finished and subject to change. I'd say it is in "alpha".

2. Extensions project is a separate initiative, not sure about it status.

3. With Commentor, you can chose to moderate all by himself or let anti-spam filter auto-approve and then check and correct mistakes (if any).

You can read more and provide your input on oncoming comment moderation here and here.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:36 AM
Edited Oct 7, 2009 at 6:39 AM

I haven't visited this discussion list in a long time - and I just checked in to see if I can do anything about all the spam comments I get. 

Much to my dismay, I see that one of the discussions I started last December (titled "Where do I get the newest build" http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=42291) has been recently spammed by the same slime balls that are hitting my site - with the names "Tax Relief", "Loan Modification", and "Los Angeles DUI Lawyer". I think they are harvesting sites to hit from this forum.

I upgraded to build 28725 a while ago and am having some issues with the comment management - it appears that the "Moderate Comments" feature is broken, for example. I see on the source code comments that there have been a lot of checkins lately in this area, and the comment above says that some new features aren't quite finished yet.  Would anyone advise that I update to the latest 28939 build, or wait for things to get stabilized?

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2009 at 6:54 AM

I'm not sure exactly what's changed between 28725 and the latest (28939), but in some recent builds rtur has been finishing up some of the comment moderation features that weren't initially completed.  I think all the buttons are wired up and it's functioning ... although there still will be some more changes and improvements.

If it's not too much trouble for you, feel free to upgrade to the latest (28939) and see if it does what you're looking for.  If it doesn't do something you expect it to do, or you have any ideas related to the comment moderation system ... feel free to post them here.  Thanks!

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Thanks Ben - I just did the upgrade to 28939 and a few of the "comment management" features are definitely fixed in this build (for example, if I edit a comment, it actually saves the edits!)

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the implimentation, but what is there now is a huge improvement!

Best,

David Workman

http://www.HalfBakedLunatic.com

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I've been swamped with comment spam as well. If you're using XML based postings I wrote a little utility that does a decent job of cleaning the files of spam comments. It's written in Visual Studio (VS) 2010 beta 2, but You can just as easily steal the code from the Program.cs file to build a version in VS 2005 Express. It's a console app that when pointed to the posts folder in APP_Data and a XML filter file will go through and remove unwanted posts. Doesn't do well to prevent the creation of these comments, but helped me deal with the reactive cleanup.

Blog Engine Spam Cleanup Utility

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Here is the method I used to block spam comments in BlogEngine.NET 1.5.0.7: http://www.codecapers.com/post/How-to-Block-Spam-Comments-in-BlogEngineNET.aspx