Help getting Categories, Authors, and Tag links to work

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Oct 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Hi,

I started looking into BlogEngine.NET about a week ago, and I got to say, I love it. It's really easy to use (for the most part), and having the source code really helps fine tune features.

One of the things I want to do is use a different page for the posts, called "AllPosts.aspx", and reserve "Default.aspx" as a static Welcome page with a button that links to "AllPosts.aspx". So far so good, it is just a matter of renaming the default.aspx included with BlodEngine to AllPosts.aspx (works fine when I go directly to www.mysite.com/AllPosts.aspx). The problem comes when I click on one of the categories/authors/tags links.

When I click the links, say to load the Category "BlogEngine.Net", it takes me to the url "www.mysite.com/category/BlogEngineNET.aspx", which is expected, but it doesn't load (I have not created the default page yet). It is attempting to load Default.aspx and can't find it.

What do I need to do so that "www.mysite.com/category/BlogEngineNET.aspx" load the AllPosts page instead of Default (if possible)? 

NOTE: I don't want to set AllPosts as the default webpage, since I want my visitors to get the static welcome page when they visit my site. 

• Default.aspx (static page) - Dafault Page
  • AllPosts.aspx (BlogBasePage)
  • Contact Me (static page)

Thank You,

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2009 at 8:35 AM

In the BE core, there's a UrlRewrite module that is rewriting the URL for default.aspx.

If you download the Source version of BE, there's a DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic folder (or BlogEngine.Core folder in the major releases).  In there, in the Web\HttpModules folder is UrlRewrite.cs.  You can modify it so it does a rewrite to AllPosts.aspx instead of default.aspx.  After modifying any of these BE core files, you will need to recompile the core to create a new BlogEngine.Core.dll file for your BIN folder.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Thank you very much, that worked. Well, at least the Categories for now.

But now that I know where to tweak, I'll be able to change everything the way I want it to.

Thanks again.