BE is not working on my live server (GoDaddy)

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Themes
Oct 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Hi All,

I uploaded the BE by integrating it into my site to GoDaddy hosting server. The BE worked fine upto some days(arround 2 weeks). Then i suddenly found issue that blogs are not working. Before to this the server went down and came back.

My blogs default.aspx page is not loading when i click on the link blogs from my site.

I just integrated the blogs into my site by creating a folder called "blogs" under the root of the site. I updated the web.config file of site with the settings of the BE web.config. Its worked fine. Now the blogs in my site are not coming i.e even any page of blogs is not coming and rest of the pages of site are coming.

I strucked with this issue and i m not able to move forward. Any help will be appriciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Chary.

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Are you getting any error messages?

You could try re-starting the application to see if that helps.  You can restart the application by overwriting or changing any file in the BIN or App_Code folder (even just renaming one of the files to something temporary, and then rename it back).

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Hi BenAmada,

Thanks for the response.

I m not getting any error message. Only i m able to see in the browser is

"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

I even restarted and uploaded 4 times but nothing is happening. Previously i created one directory for my application and i got the same error. So wt i did is i created a new one and its worked for 3 more days. Then the same problem. I don't know wt is happening there with the server.

There is no clue abt the issue. Can u plz help me.

Thanks,

Chary.

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Have you tried pulling up your blog with a different browser?

I would try Googling for that error message.  There's a good number of hits, with some suggested solutions.  They may or may not help in your case.  But it's a good start.

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Once again thanks for the response.

I tried pulling up the site with IE and Mozilla only. But in IE also the same thing is happing. Plz help me out in this issue as it is very urgent to me.

Thanks,

Chary.

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Did you follow the link to the Google search results?  There's a lot of results in the Google search with people reporting the same exact error message you have.  Several possible solutions are listed in the results.  Your best bet is to look through those results and try some of the solutions suggested by others.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:28 AM
Edited Oct 13, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Hi BenAmada,

Thanks for considering my request. I put  a message to u. Thanks for the reply.

I tried some of the solutions which are suggested in search results but no use. Even i am trying form last three days. One more thing is that when i access my site from outside the office i m getting the following error.

XML Parsing Error: no element found
Line Number 1, Column 1:

I m getting this error in firefox only. IE the same error. I m working around it.

Any other solutions?

Thanks and Regards,

Chary.

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2009 at 3:23 AM

I believe those error messages just mean that no response is coming back from the server (no HTML response).

You could try contacting GoDaddy support to see if they can help.

In your first message, you mentioned that you copied the BE settings into the web.config file of the root site.  Another option that I believe you can do at GoDaddy is to mark the "blogs" folder as a separate application within your website.  See this Help article from GoDaddy:

http://help.godaddy.com/article/3973

The article above explains some options in GoDaddy's Hosting Control Center.  The last option described is "Set Application Root".  What you would do is set the "blogs" folder as an application root.  When you do this, the "blogs" folder will be its own separate application.  You wouldn't need to copy the BE settings into the web.config file of the root folder.  The blogs folder would contain its own web.config file, it's own BIN directory, its own App_Code directory, its own App_GlobalResources folder, etc.  Basically the "blogs" folder would be its own separate application.

I'm not sure if this will solve the problem you have now.  I've not really seen the error you're getting now.  Usually when an error occurs, some response comes back from the server that lets you know what the problem might be.  In this case, essentially no response is coming back.

Not sure, but the error might be caused by some conflict between your main site and the blog running in the same application.  I'm hoping that if you mark the blogs folder as an application root and setup BE as its own separate application, this will eliminate any conflict between the application in the root and the BE application.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Hi BenAmada,

Thanks for your reply once again.

Any how i m going to do wt u suggested to me on server and let u know on that. Do u think issue is related to cache? Why i m saying because every time when RecentPosts widget loads we are checking for HttpRuntime.Cache and assigning the posts. So, is it related to cache issue?

I just used the RecentPosts widget of BE in my site home page also. Then even my site home page didn't came. Then we just just replced it with the GridView now the site home is coming. But the blogs are not coming.

Thanks,

Chary.

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2009 at 6:56 AM

The RecentPosts widget that comes with BE should work if you don't make any modifications to it.

HttpRuntime.Cache shouldn't hurt anything.  It's just used to cache data (Posts, Pages, etc) so the data doesn't need to be re-calculated all the time.  HttpRuntime.Cache is used in many places throughout BE.

In the case of the RecentPosts widget, it gets the recent posts and puts the recent post data into HTML format for display purposes.  Once this HTML is created, the RecentPosts widget stores this HTML into the Cache.  Then everytime somebody visits the blog, BE can quickly get the HTML stored in Cache, instead of needing to go through the process of obtaining the recent posts and putting the recent post data into HTML format, over and over.  So, in short, putting this type of data into the Cache, just helps make things run faster.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Once again thanks for the reply.

I didn't mofied anything in RecentPosts widget when i kept it in my site home page. Even it worked fine for 2 weeks. Then server went down and came back, that it the site home page is not coming. Even any page in the site.

Then wt we thought because of the cache of the widget the issue is coming, then we removed the Widget from home page by a gridview for recent posts, for that we have written some function to fetch the details. Then site is up, home page and even every page is coming except the blogs pages.

The cache is gd thing that u implemented in BE and i liked it to. Even the blog is running faster.

Thanks and Regards,

Chary.

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Hello BenAmada,

I could not be able to solve the issue still. Can u please help me out. Some of the google search results state that it is the issue with the web.config. I checked the web.config before integration and after also but no use.

Thanks and Regards,

Chary.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:47 AM

Hi BenAmada,

I resolved the issue for which i m struggling from last two weeks. It is the issue with the parent Category Id in the database. For some category parent category exists but that parent category is deleted from the database. When default page is loading it is not finding the parent category, so in that case every time it is looking for it and digging  into infinate loop. Thats why the response from the server is not coming.

I just removed that parent category id and it worked fine. I really appreciate for the help and response you have given me. Here is one more issue i observed in BE. When we give the comments for the post in IE6 the AJAX Loading image is shown to the user. But the comments are not saved and the image is not disappearing from the page until we go to another page or the browser is closed.

Thanks and Regards,

Rameswara Chary. A