Display Blog Headlines on my Homepage

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:57 AM

I want to display the most recent blog posts or their headlines from my BlogEngine blog onto my website's homepage (isn't built using BlogEngine.net). This link: http://www.corvidworks.com/articles/wordpress-content-on-other-pages     explains how to display content outside of wordpress on your website. What is the best way to display blog content on your website's homepage when using BlogEngine?

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Depends on your other site. If it is asp.net, you might be able directly reference BlogEngine and loop through the posts similar to what described in that article. If it is PHP or something else, you might need to expose your posts via web service. As last resort, you can always screen scrape your BE posts, which is ugly but works across any platform.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM

My website is .asp on IIS 6 with .net support.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM

I noticed that the syndication.axd output has all of the xml I need to display the most recent posts. Is there a way to read the syndication output?

I would like to do something like the following (obviously doesn't work):

<%
'Load XML
set xml = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
xml.async = false
xml.load(Server.MapPath("blogengine/syndication.axd"))

'Load XSL
set xsl = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
xsl.async = false
xsl.load(Server.MapPath("blog_links.xsl"))

'Transform file
'Response.Write(xml.transformNode(xsl))
%>

Thanks in advance

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2009 at 10:47 AM

There's already some code in BE that reads RSS feeds.  One that comes to mind is the BlogRoll (in the App_Code\Controls\Blogroll.cs) file.

And if you're using ASP.NET 3.5, it includes some new built-in namespaces to consume (and publish) RSS.  Here's one article demonstrating the new capabilities.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Thanks for all of your help