thumbnails in recent posts

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:37 AM

I just started working with BE, and am quite impressed. I've searched the posts, but couldn't find anything so...

Is there already an extension available which will allow me to put a thumbnail (either as a separate image, or a cropped version of an image in a post) to the 'recent posts' area? We need to put a little grid of icons instead of the post titles for the recent stuff.

-dave

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Dave,

Yes, but not an extension - code behind in the Theme solution.

Have a look at (our modified) Artemia theme (originally) by OneSoft.dk or one amended by Antonio Chagoury adding some Twitter components.

We've extended this to provide an abstract of the Featured Post either as paragraph or as a float around the thumbnail image, third-column and two widget areas. We pull a YouTube thumbnail manually from YouTube so that you have a relevant thumbnail in your Headline or Featured item summary. We had to extend the code-behind to support embedded media appearing as Featured or Headline articles.

The following is a work-in-progress customer site that we're also extending with ScrewTurnWiki and Gallery Server Pro.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:54 PM
Edited Feb 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM

yes arthemia is cool, mine is here www.inaea.org

if you able to edit codes you need to look its getimage function which checks post content and return first matched image as thumbnail into post brief.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Hi Dave,

Can you provide some links to examples showing what kind of "thumbnail in the recent posts area" sort of thing that you like?  You might be interested in a "Theme tip" by Al Nyveldt showing how to have category thumbnails for each posts:

http://www.nyveldt.com/blog/post/BE-Theme-Tip-Adding-default-images-for-each-category.aspx

I've been tinkering with some similar ideas and might do something along that line.

GayLyn

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. What I need is the ability to use images in the recent posts/archives area on the side of the blog, instead of text links (blog titles). http://gallery.me.com/idesigner#100257 is an image from the page design, where each of the small icons is a link to one of the recent posts.

On an unrelated note, and what is probably a show-stopper for BE on the project, the server the client is on (and this cannot be changed) is running asp.net 1.1. It doesn't look like BE will run on this configuration, am I correct?

-dave

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Indeed, a server that is running now archaic .net 1.1 isn't going to serve BE.

I've been tinkering with some image thumbnail ideas a little like you describe (dare we call it a thumbnail picker? <g>), but that code is only at the idea stage.

-GayLyn

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:20 AM

@davesnothere: have you found any solution to your problem? I just started BE yesterday and I am also looking for a way to display thumbnails or smaller images of recent posts (if there is any image attached).

I'm using BE to for our internal webblog which will be used extensively by Marketing Dept. Approximately 95% of the posts will have image(s) attached or image URLs. This means showing the thumbnails or smaller images in recent posts will save lots of time from people going through each post to find out whether they're interested in the post.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Tim