Cannot login using IE8. Firefox is OK.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:48 AM

When I try to login I get to the login page and I'm able to enter my name and password.  After I press the login button, the returned page is absolutely blank.  Well, actually, the HTML for the returned page is as follows:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

So, it might as well be blank.

I'm using WIndows 7 x64.  I get the same results in IE8 x64 and in IE8 x32.  Turining "Compatibilty View" and off makes no difference.

On IE7 running on Windows XP running in a virtual machine, I get a 404 error instead of the blank page.

FireFox has absolutely no trouble under any circumstances..

The blog is using BlogEngine.NET 1.5.0.7 and is hosted at DiscountASP.net.

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2009 at 7:09 AM

If possible, try logging into the same blog on a different computer with IE8 (Windows 7 or not Windows 7) -- to see if it's a specific problem with just your particular IE installation.

It could be some add-on in IE.  Or a security tool blocking the content.  I'm just guessing.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and can't reproduce this problem.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Hi Bill & Ben,

This sounds similar to some problems I was having with a 1.5.0.7 blog (also at DiscountASP.net) a couple of months ago.  It happened multiple times after I edited a text widget.  It happened once with an XML backend and once with a SQL Svr backend.  It seemed to lose it when trying to post credentials to login.aspx.  It seemed as though it couldn't login because it couldn't find the login page, though it was posting to itself.  One time I got lucky and found that I was already logged in on another machine.  I think what probably solved the problem was restarting the application.  I was using IE7 and Vista.

Betcha I can reproduce the problem.  <g>  When everything has been running well for a few hours (a rare state at my desk), I'll reproduce the error.

-GayLyn

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:36 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I have tried on several different computers and several different operating systems.  IE7 and IE8 either return a totally blank page or a 404 message.  Firefox never has a problem.

I grabbed the latest sourcecode as of yesterday, recompiled, deleted everthing but App_Data on the server and uploaded the new version.  It is now running on version 1.5.1.27.  The results are still the same.

My differences from stock code are as follows:

• Extensions
    • CopyCodeToClipboard.cs
    • seopack.cs
  • Themes
    • GrayShadow
    • ProfessionalLight

I have tried disabling the extensions and changing the theme.  Neither made any difference.

Thanks for your help.

-bill

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Bill,

Ironically, the first time I had the problem (when I was using the XML data source), I did pretty much the opposite.  I deleted the contents of App_Data (after making a backup copy), replaced the App_Data contents with the original files, and it worked once again.

This is probably a goofy idea, but if you call one of the admin pages, the validation will send you to the login page, and maybe it might set you up for a different result.  I'm grasping at straws.  Maybe you'll be willing to try:

http://www.[yourblogname.com]/admin/Pages/Users.aspx  (replacing the [yourblogname.com] as appropriate.

As I said, this happened to me multiple times, and it really made me crazy.  I was never convinced that anybody really knew why.

-GayLyn

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Bill, you said you sometimes get a totally blank page and sometimes get a 404 message.  When you get the 404 message, are you on the error404.aspx page?  Where it says "Oops, can't find the page"?  If so, this happens either when there is legitimately a page not found, or when an unhandled error occurs.  In your web.config file, if you change the existing <customErrors> tag to the following, you should get an actual error message, rather than the generic redirect when an unhandled error occurs.

<customErrors mode="Off">

Thinking about it, it doesn't make a lot of sense that an unhandled server side error would occur in IE7/IE8, but not in Firefox ... so that may not be the problem.  However, I'm still curious what the URL is in the address bar when you get a 404 error.  It's one thing to get a blank page, but a 404 error is something else.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:12 AM

My personal machine is the only one that gets the blank page.  Every other machine I have tried gets the 404 message.  So, I think we can ignore the blank page thing for now.

When I try to login, I am not getting the error404.aspx page.  The URL in the address bar says .../login.aspx.  The 404 message is the one that IE shows when it can't find a page.  If I ask BlogEngine for a legitimately missing page, I do get the error404.aspx page.

I tried setting <customErrors mode="Off"/> and it makes no difference. 

It seems that everything is working on the server side and that IE is somehow interpreting things incorrectly. 

If you think it would help, I would be happy to send you the URL for my site and login credentials in a private message.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:16 AM
Edited Nov 8, 2009 at 4:29 AM

GayLyn,

You got me thinking.  In your first post in this thread, you said that you had the same problem after editing a Text Widget.  In your second one, you said that clearing out the App_Data folder fixed the problem.

I was reluctant to clear out my App_Data folder even for testing because if that fixed the problem I would still be stuck because I'm not willing to start my entire blog over.  So, I thought about it a bit and tried commenting out all of the widgets in ...\App_Data\datastore\widgets\be_WIDGET_ZONE.xml.  That fixed it.

So, I'm in the process of adding them back in to see which one it is.  Now I just have to decide whether to iterate through them or restore half of them and do a binary search.

I'll let you know what I find.

-bill

UPDATE: 
Well, the binary search was definitely the way to go.  The problem widget was number 12 out of 16 and I found it in 4 passes.  It was indeed a text box.
Ben and GayLyn, that you so much for your help.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:03 AM

Bill!

Excellent debugging work!  I'm so glad that you connected the dots... they sure were scattered dots! I will confess that it was my sister who first said (this was back in August) that it seemed like it blew up right after I edited that textbox widget on her blog.  I doubted that was it, but then the same thing happened again when I edited a textbox widget again a few weeks later.  Hmmph.

I wasn't as precise as you in cleaning things out, but that first blog was only a few days old.  I had the text and images of the posts and was able to reconstruct things easily enough.  The next time it happened on a different blog, the backend was in SQL Server, so the posts were safely in the DB.

Your persistence is laudable. 

-GayLyn

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I've had this problem as well, and removing widgets didn't help. 

By trial and error I eventually found that the problem was a Vertical Response email signup form in my sidebar. It didn't seem to be any specific properties of the form, just having a second form on the page caused IE 8 to fail to login with the 404 error described by others. Firefox and Chrome both worked fine. 

My fix was to surround the form in a ContentPlaceHolder and then modify login.aspx to skip the form. IE8 can then login. Very puzzling.