Login alternative

Topics: Controls, Themes
Nov 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Have recently downloaded the folioelement theme from 

http://www.themes4blogs.com/

and am having difficulty with the login page. Is there a way to set the login to open in a new page or in a lightbox. The people at themes4blogs do not respond to my queries and there comments are so full of spam anyway. Appreciate any help with this. Thanks

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Hi nigelnh,

You can access the login page directly with the URL http://www.[yourblogsite.com]/login.aspx.  IOW, just add  /login.aspx to your web address.

If you mean that you want to have the link to the login page truly open in a new window, you could add a "target" attribute to the link that is at the bottom of the theme,

you would look for the tag like this: <a href="/login.aspx" id="ctl00_aLogin">Log in</a> (it's at the bottom of that template you linked to) and change the html to this:

<a href="/login.aspx" target="_blank" id="ctl00_aLogin">Log in</a>

It's that  target="_blank" that sends it to a new window.

On the other hand... if you're having some completely different problem logging on, please explain further.

-GayLyn

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reply

I have tried some of the permutations that you describe before, but I will try yours as well; as I see you use the source and not the runat server tag, but what I need to to do is to try and get the login page pulled completely out of the theme and say open it in the Standard theme settings, as the JScript settings in the folioelement theme are causing errors and it is virtually impossible to login without trying to guess where the login fill in fields are.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I dont know Jscript at all so do not know how to address the script error which deals with the usual  Error: '0.offsetWidth' is null or not an object.

Nigel

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Hi Nigel,

The simple way to get a "standard theme" login (without any coding change required) is to append this to your site url:

/login.aspx?theme=standard

I suppose you could also add that query string part to the link, as well. You can append that little query string to most BE site addresses and switch the theme to whichever one you want on the fly. Hope you get the script error figured out.  If the theme is a free download, I would be (a little) interested in seeing what it's doing, but it will have to be on a day when my 'to do' list is not so long.

Best Wishes,

-GayLyn

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM
Thanks Gaylyn

Have tried the different ways but no luck, I know there is a way to sort this out but I have not found it yet. Will post once I get it (could take a while as I am no expert). It is a free download and some of the free themes are really good from this site,  the idea for this particluar theme would make an excellent addition to the BE themes. Need to do a crash course in Jscript, but would prefer to sort it out with BE.net.

all the best

Nigel

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM, gaylyn <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Nigel,

The simple way to get a "standard theme" login (without any coding change required) is to append this to your site url:

/login.aspx?theme=standard

I suppose you could also add that query string part to the link, as well. You can append that little query string to most BE site addresses and switch the theme to whichever one you want on the fly. Hope you get the script error figured out.  If the theme is a free download, I would be (a little) interested in seeing what it's doing, but it will have to be on a day when my 'to do' list is not so long.

Best Wishes,

-GayLyn

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Gaylyn,

I was reading you response to Nigel and have a related question.

Do you know of a way to open a post into a different theme / master page? I don't know how to use your example because the post urls are built dynamically. For example... our home page has 3 columns with the posts shown in the left column but if someone clicks on the post we would like it to open in a page with 2 columns.

Thanks

Mike