Is Blog Engine Dot Net still alive?

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Nov 18, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Where are you guys? Is project still alive? We haven't had any uptade since April... Thanks...

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM

are you serious lol? 

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:16 AM

No doubt -- look at all the check-ins under "source code". This is a very active project...

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:03 AM

You know that isn't an ignorant question.

While DNBE is still alive it has stalled this year from my perspective.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:33 PM

While there seem to be a fair amount of source checkins, I think KodiakMx was talking about the Releases, there haven't been any since April. In this business you gotta move faster.

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:18 PM
Edited Nov 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I would agree, my initial reaction after going to the old blogengine.net site was that the project was orphaned. In fact i was perusing around looking for another oss blog too use on my site since I am still on 1.03 and the main page made the project look dead. It's cool if it's still alive and kicking, but market your work a little better and you'll get a larger user base.

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM

what are your suggestions for better marketing, just update the home page more frequently?

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I think having the last release on the homepage of CodePlex dating back to April 2009 makes the project look stalled - the homepage external to CodePlex looks abandonned - albeit the soource code may be being updated, but that is for developers not those that wander into the project, their first impression is not going to be a good one and I doubt that they would look at the source code tab - they will assume that there has been no action since April 2009

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I would either update the http://www.dotnetblogengine.net site or 301 redirect search hits to this location (codeplex). Most of the search indexed links go to the http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/ site, which looks like it is missing some CSS or something. Look at this way, every hit you get from a search engine shows an old, broken site. This reflects upon a user's potential interest; "This is what blogengine is all about. Pass."

Also, to developer the codeplex site appeals to expected genre: developers. What would a Web producer, web designer, blogger think? Probably that this product is designed for developers (i.e. more hardcore skills). Make the main site show off the product and link to the codeplex site for the programmatic details.

By the way, the reason why I am writing this is because I like blogengine, but think that it could be more and attract more attention. I am also a happy user :), but am losing confidence because the visibility is decreasing.