Garbage characters when going to settings page

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Hi, we are a new install and are running the application sub directory of an existing site, and we marked the "blog" directory as a seperate applicaiton in IIS. 

From this discussion:  http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=51114

We are using Option 1, IIS 7 under Windows 2008.

The blog runs fine so far, but when we log in as the admin and try to click on the settings page we are getting the garbage characters.  We have added the additional code in the global.asax file and disabled the custom errors in the web.config file, but still no luck on getting a real error.  I am guessing this error is permissions based, but without the real error I am not sure. 

Was there anything further I could do to get a real error?

Jeremy

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2009 at 2:30 AM

Try this to get your permissions straight and this to get to real error.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I got the error checking software installed, but for some reason it was still giving the garbage characters but no error was showing in the ELMH log.  However, the permissions thing with IIS7 did fix the issue, so no more garbage characters.  Thank you for your help.

Jeremy

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:03 PM

LOL, the error is back, but this time I am seeing the error in the log... I am guessing it is a data issue, probably doesn't like some of the data in one of the settings I am guessing:

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.ArgumentException: Culture name 'zh-TW\_vti_cnf' is not supported.
Parameter name: name
   at System.Globalization.CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo(String name)
   at System.Globalization.CultureInfo.GetCultureInfoByIetfLanguageTag(String name)
   at admin_Pages_configuration.BindCultures()
   at admin_Pages_configuration.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at ASP.admin_pages_settings_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Found this article related to that error:  http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=24456

Made the necessary code changes and republished the code, hopefully this will fix the issue.