How do I merge posts from two BE blogs into one?

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to merge two BE blogs in a simple way, and if so, how to do it?

Current set up is like this:

Blog 1
The one we want to keep
Has three categories for different kinds of users (different skill levels)
A fourth category should be added where posts from Blog 2 are put

Blog 2
The one we want to take posts from and put in Blog 1 in a new category
Has several different categories for different subjects

Is it at all possible?
Will categories from Blog 2 also follow, and be added to the 4 categories in Blog 1, or can it be avoided?

Thanks for any help! Try to keep it on a pretty basic level, as I am very much a novice with dotnetblogengine.

Best,

Kristofer

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2009 at 11:20 AM

For a complete transfer of Posts along with Categories, I think there's just two steps involved.  This assumes you're using XML storage (not DB).

1.  In the App_Data folder, there's a categories.xml file.  Copy the categories from blog2's categories.xml file into blog1's categories.xml file via a text editor.  You'll basically be copying four <category> tags into blog1's categories.xml file.

2. Copy all the XML files in the App_Data\posts folder from blog2 into the same folder of blog1.

After doing these two steps, you'll want to restart blog1 so the changes are detected by BE.  It can be restarted by making any change to the web.config file for example (add a space, etc).

I think moving the blog2 categories over to blog1 is necessary since the blog2 posts are tied to those categories.  If you don't move the categories over, you'll likely get an error when BE tries to tie the categories in the posts to the categories in categories.xml and can't find the categories.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply! It doesn't seem too complicated then. =) Haven't tried it yet, as I'm not sure if we will really merge them.

I have another question you might know how to answer. The comment notices, both about a comment on a post and for commenters to follow new comments on the post. It doesn't work and I assume it has something to do with the Email settings. Email-address and smtp server is pretty straight forward, but what about the User name and Passwords? Which ones are referred to? User name to the dotnetblogengine blog? Or for the email account? I mean, in Outlook I don't use it.

Thanks!!

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM
BenAmada wrote:

For a complete transfer of Posts along with Categories, I think there's just two steps involved.  This assumes you're using XML storage (not DB).

1.  In the App_Data folder, there's a categories.xml file.  Copy the categories from blog2's categories.xml file into blog1's categories.xml file via a text editor.  You'll basically be copying four <category> tags into blog1's categories.xml file.

2. Copy all the XML files in the App_Data\posts folder from blog2 into the same folder of blog1.

After doing these two steps, you'll want to restart blog1 so the changes are detected by BE.  It can be restarted by making any change to the web.config file for example (add a space, etc).

I think moving the blog2 categories over to blog1 is necessary since the blog2 posts are tied to those categories.  If you don't move the categories over, you'll likely get an error when BE tries to tie the categories in the posts to the categories in categories.xml and can't find the categories.

What if I was using a DB. Could I still combine 2 blogs?

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

There is export/import tab in the admin, you can export from one blog and import into another. There might be minor data loss as it uses BlogML as data format which does not support some of the types, but it might work for you.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Sounds great. Thanks for the (potentially) good news!