Creating a post programmatically failing

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Dec 13, 2009 at 3:28 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I'm trying to write a custom converter to convert my old xhtml files into BlogEngine.NET posts. I was going to use the "Post" class from the core class library, but I've stumbled over an issue I can't seem to resolve.

My code is roughly this:

Post newsPost = new Post();
newsPost.Author = "Marc Scheuner";

newsPost.DateCreated = DateTime.Parse(effectiveDate, swissGerman);
//newsPost.DateCreated = DateTime.ParseExact(effectiveDate, "d. MMMM yyyy", swissGerman.DateTimeFormat);

My "effectiveDate" string is something like "27. September 2007", which is the default Swiss-German format - day (one or two digits), full month name, year (4 digits).

My problem is: the "DateCreated" always complains :     "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I don't understand why that's so. I checked - both methods DateTime.Parse and DateTime.ParseExact do return a valid DateTime instance. I checked the BE Core code to see what's happening with the "DateCreated" property but I'm not seeing anything special or odd being done with it.

I even checked the admin/Pages/Add_Entry.aspx.cs file to see how BE handles its posts - I don't see any "voodoo" tricks being pulled off to get a new post into the system.

Why is my Post creation code failing all the time?? I'm running this in a console app which I'm writing, and I've added a reference to the BlogEngine.Core assembly.

What am I missing??