Blog crashing at random times

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Dec 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Despite not making any changes at, I keep having my blog go down randomly and I get the error below. The only thing that seems to fix it is rebooting the server which I have to have someone else do.

Some info on my blog. I am running BlogEngine.NET version 1.4.5. The blog sits in a directory as part of a bigger site. When the blog goes down, the rest of the static pages do not. One of the funny things is I am running SQL Server 2000 (8.00.2039) but the error mentions SQL Server 2005.

Anyone ever run into something similar?

ERROR:

Server Error in '/blogs' Application.
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Is it hosted at GoDaddy?  Just wondering since I've seen posts here by others who report intermittent connection failures to the DB.

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:52 PM

No it's on a private server. I believe it's running Windows 2000.

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM

You may have SQL 2005 installed as an 'extra instance' -- where SQL 2000 is the main engine installed named something like COMPUTER-NAME, and SQL 2005 is an instance with a name like COMPUTER-NAME\SQLExpress.  You could check for multiple instances under Administrative Tools -> Services.  The instances are sometimes listed under "SQL Server", but may also be listed under "MSSQLServer" (or similar name).

This may not be the case, but maybe BE isn't connecting to the right instance at times.  You might want to check your connection string in the web.config file.  It's possible the connection string can be changed to make it more specific in which instance it connects to.

Also, what do you mean by "When the blog goes down, the rest of the static pages do not.".  Which static pages are those?  Like contact.aspx?  Are there any error messages you receive?

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I'm planning to purchase hosting at godaddy (for the cost & features they offer). Is there any issues with Godaddy, is it reliable? Or is there any other reliable hosting service for the same cost.

I'm planning to host 2 different blogs/sites (2 different owners) developing using blogengine as content / articles management tool.
One of them is willing to feed articles to the other, to be more precise, the bigger website will have many categories like Mutual Fund, Insurance, Stocks etc. THe other site/blog will have articles on Stocks. The owner of stocks site is willing to share contents. Is it possible to handle using feeds or using iframe?

Thanks,
Joe