Integrate blogengine with classic asp site without creating virtual directory of blogengine.

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Jan 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Hi All.

I have one my application written in classic ASP. Now i want to integrate blogengine code written in with my ASP site. When i put blogengine web application code folder in my asp application and redirect to blogengine page then i am getting this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 7:  	</configSections>
Line 8: <BlogEngine>
Line 9: <blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">
Line 10: <providers>
Line 11: <add name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core"/>

If i create virtual directory for blogengine folder then it work fine. But i want a solution without creating virtual directory.

Is there any solution for this ?

It is very urgent for me.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:55 AM

The easiest solution is by far creating a virtual directory.

You can go another route which is to install/copy key files to the root directory, and leave the other files in the blog directory.

For this 2nd scenario, you would place the following files/folders to the root directory:

The rest of the files and folders would remain in the 'blog' subfolder.

Also, in the web.config file, there's this setting:

<add key="BlogEngine.VirtualPath" value="~/"/>

You would want to change that to:

<add key="BlogEngine.VirtualPath" value="~/blog/"/>

(or whatever the name of your blog folder is).

I'm just listing these steps while looking at the contents of the default BE folder.  I may have missed something, but that should mostly be everything.