This project is read-only.

Comments cannot be turned off

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jan 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I'm using version 1.4.5

Whenever I log in and alter the settings on my blog to de-select the Enable comments option on settings tab and click save,
the setting has disappeared when I go back after a couple of hours to check it.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be happening and if so what steps I could take to prevent it?  I've tried with both IE8 and Firefox 3.5

The initial reason for making this change is that the blog comments were being heavily hit by spammers and rather than having to spend hours moderating comments I wanted to see the impact of turning them off.

I'm not averse to upgrading to version 1.5 but would like to know if there is anything else I can do beforehand in case upgrading doesn't actually make any difference.
The idea of a stopwords list may be useful for stopping profanity etc. but I don't believe it would stop hackers who use innocuous language or nonsense words whose IP addresses etc. I may wish to prevent from commenting.

Any advice offered on a ny of the above would be gratefully received, thanks.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM

It sounds like the settings are not getting saved to the datastore (App_Data folder or DB).

For example, if Write permissions aren't setup correctly for the App_Data folder, then the change in settings will be in effect for the settings stored in memory, but the change in settings is not saved to the settings.xml file.  Then, if the blog is inactive for a while, or the application restarts (server re-start, app pool recycle, etc), then settings in memory get cleared out, and the data from settings.xml is re-read and stored back in memory.  But the old data is in settings.xml.

So I would check to make sure Write permissions are setup.  You can also check to see if the timestamp on settings.xml gets updated when you save changes on the Settings tab.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Thanks BenAmada

The timestamp was indeed not being updated on the server's settings.xml file.
I had been checking the settings had been changed but didn't chek the server file at the same time.

Once I set up the correct permissions on the App_Data .xml files, everything worked and the content of the settings.xml file, plus its timestamp, was updated.

Keep up the good work!