Email subscription instead of RSS Feeds

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Jan 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Is there any way to enable email subscriptions in BlogEngine.NET as an alternative to subscribing to an RSS feed?

This may be a stupid question, since I am not an expert on blog sites by any means.

I have found that the popularity of getting feed information via email exceeds that of RSS feeds and would like to enable it for my site at some point.

If the ability does not exist, how difficult would it be for a novice like myself to add it? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer!

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:47 PM

There is an widget called 'Newsletter' that does this...

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Why not just use feedburner and then users will have the choice of getting an rss feed or email -- plus they take care of sending the emails, no hassle and it's free.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:21 PM

In the theme that I am using I added the widgetZone tage to my site.master, like below:

<blog:WidgetZone ID="widgetZone" runat="server" />

The problem that I have is that it now shows all of the active widgets and I have no idea how to disable them.

Is there a way to disable the widgets I don't want to see or is there a way to only show the single widget that I do want to see?

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2010 at 5:18 AM

If you're logged into the blog, then in the upper right hand corner of each widget, there should be an 'X'.  Clicking on the 'X' will remove the widget.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:35 PM

But Newsletter only gathers email addresses, right? Or am I missing something.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Correct, it only collects the email address. They are stored in App_Data/newsletter.xml

It only sends an email when there is a new post. The email includes a link to the post.