BlogEngine.NET what application can I use to manage a .sql document?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Jan 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Hey Guys

I'm really struggling with trying to find a way to use a .sql file from the set-up folder for BlogEngine.net. For mySql I can simply upload the .sql file and presto through my hosts api and its in the database but its not the same for mssql which is where I really want to be with this. I do already have the xml running fine as my data source. I've been looking through ms tools and find them way too overlapping and confusing as to which will do what. I'm running visual studio 2008 prof edition. I've seen tools that I could use for mysql and used them without issue but is there something similiar for ms sql around? Is there some place I can read about how to connect with visual studio and use the .sql file? I can already connect to a database from visual studio but I need to put it all together so I can connect, and solve the issue with implementing a .sql file. I've already tried through my hosts control panel (Webhost4life) and I cannot get the script to run. I am running ms sql 2005 but I could also create a new database and run 2008 if that is easier. I work daily on  a Mac platform as a flash developer  AS2/3 so Asp.net is not my strong suit. 

Thanks, 

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2010 at 4:50 AM

I'm not sure about Webhost4life, but they might allow you to connect to a SQL Server DB remotely.

Visual Studio does have some capability to manage a DB, but the best tool is going to be SQL Server Management Studio.

There's a free express version of Management Studio you can download and install.

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Management Studio Express
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=08E52AC2-1D62-45F6-9A4A-4B76A8564A2B&displaylang=en

You'll probably first want to find out if you can connect remotely to your Webhost4life DB.  If you can connect to it from Visual Studio, then that means remote connections are possible.

Once installed, you can connect to the SQL server at Webhost4life, open up a Query window and execute the setup script.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Thanks, that worked perfectly.