Errors on first install - keep getting 'oops - not found' page

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Ok - so I created a new WebSite and am using host headers within IIS to point to it. Everything looks fine but when I first load the site and go to 'Users' and create a new user as soon as I hit 'Create' I get the 'oops - not found' page.

I've set permissions for the 'aspnet' account on the App_Data folder to 'Full Control'. Please could you advise.

Regards,

moonpunk

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM

In the web.config file in the root of your blog, you'll file a <customErrors> tag.  If you change it to the following, you should get an actual error message instead of the way it works now by generically redirecting you to the error404.aspx page when an unhandled error occurs (also please note the tag is case sensitive).

<customErrors mode="Off">

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I'm getting the same error.  The actual error message is "Cannot access .../users.xml" or something similar.  I can add a post and delete posts just fine under the Admin account, just can't create a user.  Any ideas?

More info:  running IIS7, and Network Service account has Modify rights on the App_Data folder.  BE 1.5 downloaded today.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Found this post, and this fixed my issue:

"It might not be the NETWORK SERVICE account that your site is running under.If you go into IIS 7.5, and go into the Application Pools area, find the application pool for your site.  Click on it, then select 'Advanced Settings' on the right hand side.  A window will open up.  In the 'Process Model' section, there's "Identity".  It might be set to "Network Service".  Oftentimes, I find it's set to something else.  You can change it to Network Service."

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM

This worked for me running IIS 6.0 on W2K3.

Using Windows Explorer, I added the Network Service account with write permissions to the App_Data folder and pushed those permissions down the folder.

Once that was completed, I was able to create/modify users successfully.

Hope this helps someone else.