RSS problem, post upgrade to 1.6. ?? permissions issue

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I hope that someone can help with what I suspect may be a permissions issue.

The link from my website ( to my blog ( works fine:

I get RSS feeds to my home page, but the RSS links do not work.  Here is an example:

If I click on any of the categories or tags from the blog, they work fine.

So it's not completely broken.

Any thoughts?

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Some more info on the error.  Can't access blogroll or profiles.

Can anyone explain in plain English what this error means?

Error Details:

Url :

Raw Url : /admin/Pages/Blogroll.aspx

Message : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.

Source : System.Web

StackTrace : at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

at ASP.admin_pages_blogroll_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

TargetSite : Boolean HandleError(System.Exception)

Message : Access to the path 'E:\domains\\wwwroot\blog\App_Data\blogroll.xml' is denied.

Source : mscorlib

StackTrace : at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at System.Xml.XmlTextWriter..ctor(String filename, Encoding encoding)

at BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider.writeBlogRollFile(List`1 blogRollItems) in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Providers\XmlProvider\BlogRoll.cs:line 58

at BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider.FillBlogRoll() in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Providers\XmlProvider\BlogRoll.cs:line 152

at BlogEngine.Core.BlogRollItem.get_BlogRolls() in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\BlogRollItem.cs:line 189

at admin_Pages_blogroll.BindBlogroll()

at admin_Pages_blogroll.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

TargetSite : Void WinIOError(Int32, System.String)

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Some functionality in BE requires trust level set to "High" (remote request calls), blog roll one of those places. Most of the hosts get around it customizing "Medium" trust level allowing remote calls. You need to ask your provider to change trust level to "High" if you can't do it yourself.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM

For the 2nd error you posted, the error message buried in the details is:

Access to the path 'E:\domains\\wwwroot\blog\App_Data\blogroll.xml' is denied.

I would make sure the ASPNET user (or Network Service user) has Write/Read permissions on the App_Data folder.

If you can post here the same type of error details you see for the first error (when navigating to this page), it might be something different or the same.

At any rate, I would first make sure that Write permissions are enabled on the App_Data folder.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Thanks to rtur and BenAmada.  Problem sorted.  App_Data did have the appropriate permissiojns but they were not being inherited fully due to some muppetry on my part :-(

I had done some uploads via FTP and some using FPSE via Expression Web.  The result was a bit of a muddle with permissions.  Learning point: use one upload method or the other - not both.  All sorted now though.  Thanks.