Upgraded to 1.6, can't log in

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I upgraded to 1.6 from 1.5 following all the directions in the ReadMe file:

  • Copied 1.6 over top of existing site
  • removed /AppCode/ExtensionManager folder
  • Copied /setup/sqlserver/sqlserverweb.config to web.config
  • Update web.config with correct connection string
  • modified CSS to enable multiple widget zones
  • ran MSSQLUpgradeFrom1.5To1.6.sql against database
  • stopped/started blog

I can see the site and content seems to be coming up fine. However, admin section in widgetzone only showed option to change password. So, I logged out trying to get access to the other admin options and now it won't let me back in.

Any thoughts? Did I miss a step?

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I had the exact same problem. Followed the guide, afterwards my blog worked. But I couldn't login, not on the webpage, nor with Live writer.

Afterwards I tried cleaning the entire folder, so no 1.5 stuff was left. As soon as I switched from xml to db, it went totally crazy. Requesting a page returned something looking like text encoding errors, being totally gibberish like this:

��`I�%&/m�{J�J��t��`$ؐ@�������iG#)�*��eVe]f@�흼��{����{����;�N'���?\fdl��J�ɞ!���?~|?"��Ey�')=��y6�����h����"^Z���˼n�����uv��뺢��쓪m�ţtwg�����*[β ��/N�=����. �=���q^f�����n��9�:�)������婢����� ��GWs����DC=����뼦q��<�bI��qz�Z�Ŕ�?���U1k�������)f��]A���(�ݣ�w N����Q���p9/�0�=��q�����4�������Q����ji���|�_������l�l��/�eV��5y]���L�ҧy3�����㻓��e�^b.J����4���jJ�A���by�� ��|��o��nBh^哴��:���/���z��YQ62���47��w����m����:�ø���5�����F�eA���r����3�b��7����!�۪�w�'w?� WY�^��< ��g�L��EV���2�<�e%�i �ާ�2�'�pq^��!`Z�<6����D̎+2��1�Ч]��G���TƧ��x4�_5���1� 8=��yw������s�����O��:���d�O��dQ���|F�OѼ��O^f�<�t��I?9xpo�^�I�X�(�'뢜}AF�"�ǟ��O�U��Uެ��lI(.�r��Q��"+L̵��5�AV���UӐ��|�Mϖ/k2|@&'lw? ����Euܐ�n�0=� ����㟣��0������=��}����p��9�,�`�M�X�xr�YWeZ]�J#�z� �;JϞSP%����e�@�e�_2M�"�1^y��+V��~���<�k74޽?��e^C��ΖE����m�j�7�+��_d�r��XN��,'Mv�7Or�7���˪X�nN�f�無kE]���߅��9P�7;w����'{��u�/\N���Ŕ��:o����7��:[�WU�6����w��w�=�����ǯ_r���;����� �Ϲ�w����s>�]��Ӯ����l�.k����>*䇦�?ϟ{m��� ���Q�q�z�zC����ж��75���ҪM�2.��V����zE��.�_��#�v^�t (ַ�=��\?C<�á�-{�9���MoRO����m�Y~��>���f��}����9!�!�Q����u����9 [�_q쾪m��V����)�_�B��9���i����պ)�����#��o�E���Q3] �Ń'nM�|If�� �|��)Yb|�@/�k�^�*m��UJ�ʤjLr�L|n�0����\7��c�j(�2��ї����������=�7�����5y�/�6�rY^kSת�f���� G�\��m���G

I had to revert back to 1.5 since I couldn't find a solution for it.

Anyone else had this?

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM

@xorandor: With a new error handler in the Global.asax file in BE 1.6, you shouldn't get those garbage characters.  Those used to show up in previous versions if an unhandled error occurred.

If you still have your upgrade files available, I would check and make sure you upgraded the Global.asax file.  It should be 3,696 bytes.  And also make sure you have the new error.aspx and error.aspx.cs files in the root of your blog.

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:48 PM

@mjg:  As a double check, in your web.config file, are the default providers the DB providers?  I'm speaking of the blog, membership and role providers.  The bolded part below should be what you have in your web.config file:

<blogProvider defaultProvider="DbBlogProvider">
<membership defaultProvider="DbMembershipProvider">
<roleManager defaultProvider="DbRoleProvider" enabled="true" cacheRolesInCookie="true" cookieName=".BLOGENGINEROLES">

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Here is what I see in the web.config:

<blogProvider defaultProvider="DbBlogProvider">

<membership defaultProvider="DbMembershipProvider">

<roleManager defaultProvider="DbRoleProvider" enabled="true" cacheRolesInCookie="true" cookieName=".BLOGENGINEROLES">

 

    <roleManager defaultProvider="DbRoleProvider" enabled="true" cacheRolesInCookie="true" cookieName=".BLOGENGINEROLES">    <membership defaultProvider="DbMembershipProvider">    <roleManager defaultProvider="DbRoleProvider" enabled="true" cacheRolesInCookie="true" cookieName=".BLOGENGINEROLES">

Looks right to me...

 

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Yes, that looks right.

I would check the be_Users table.  Make sure the username/password exist.

The password is probably hashed.  You can optionally clear out the password, so it's an empty string.  Something like:

UPDATE be_Users SET Password = '' WHERE Username = 'Admin'

(where 'Admin' is your username)

After doing this, restart the blog so any cached data is cleared out of memory.  You can restart the blog by making any change to the web.config for example (add a space, etc).

Then try log logging in under your username and use the default password "admin".

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Well, that helped Ben. However, now when I log in (after changing the password) the only item on the admin menu is "Change Password".

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:18 AM

RESOLVED!

Thanks Ben for your help.

Turns out that during the upgrade, the User Roles (which used to be in an XML file I think) are moved up to DB if you're storing information in SQL. Well, it only moves up user #1 and I had removed user #1 (default admin) and was using another login with admin priveleges (security through obfuscation).

I added a UserRole entry for the userID I was using and voila, she works!

insert into be_UserRoles (UserID, RoleID ) Values (2,1)

Thanks again. Can't wait to check out all the goodness that is coming in this version before upgrading all the other blogs we run...

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I've got my issue fixed!

I had removed all old files from 1.5 but still got that gibberish, which apparently was the error handling. But changing the application pool pipeline from integrated to classic did the trick :)

I just remembered at a point reading somewhere on this project doc that it should be set to integrated. Had never been a problem though.