Incarnate For BlogEngine.NET 1.6 - Find and Reuse Avatars

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:27 PM

With the release of BlogEngine.NET 1.6, Incarnate is now supported.  Incarnate finds avatars around the web from providers like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, YouTube and XBoxLive, so that users don't have to have a gravatar when they comment on your blog. We worked with the team behind the project and they added the infrastructure in their engine to support other avatar providers in addition to Gravatar.  Now, they have a field that stores an avatar URL in association with each comment, which works for both their XML provider and their SQL provider.

While BlogEngine.NET doesn’t support Incarnate out of the box, adding it is a breeze.  It is a simple matter of replacing a single file (/User Controls/CommentView.ascx) and you are good to go.  It works across themes.  You can download the file here. If you’d like to see an example blog that uses Blog Engine.NET with Incarnate, see If you have questions or issues getting Incarnate working with your instance of BlogEngine.NET, let me know and I’ll be happy to help. And, hats off to the BlogEngine.NET team on a great release.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM
Edited Feb 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Is there anything particular that needs to be done to use this for BE 2.0?  I was getting an error saying that a class existed in two different places, but what I needed to do what restart the web app to clear out the cached code.  Works as expected now.  Great little extension! Thanks!

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I updated the download here: with a version that works with BE2.0.  You can see a version of BE2.0 working with incarnate on my blog here: