Import BlogML to BlogEngine.NET

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Hi, is there anyway I can convert BlogML (converted from Blogger to BlogML using Aaron's Powershell Script) to BlogEngine.NET.

I saw but the code was outdated and spitting an error.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Not sure, but I think some people are using the blog importer program you posted a link to, for getting BlogML data into BE.NET.

In BE.NET, on the Settings tab in the control panel, there's an "Import" button at the bottom.  Clicking this starts up that blog importer program.  If you haven't tried starting the importer this way, I would try it out to see if it makes a difference.

Unless someone else has written a tool to import BlogML data into BE.NET, your best bet would probably be to start with this blog importer program and try and fix whatever error is occurring.  My guess is that the importer basically gets the job done, but might possibly just need a small adjustment to accommodate your data or workaround whatever is causing an error to occur.

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that blog.importer.application and again .. it spits an "Cannot download the application. The application is missing required files." etc.

So I took my whole day looking for a way.. but still ended up using Blog Importer. I actually have 4 blogs in Blogger and tried importing them all using BloggerToBlogML then used Blog Importer and spits an error. So what I did is just, import my blogs one at the time. (not blog post) 

Anyway, the site looks good now!

Here it is

though I still have some work to do like submitting it to Google for crawling and sitemap.

I like BE.NET a lot than the other one. It's more easy to use and user friendly. 

Just a little concern on duplicate posts. :) Hope there's a patch soon.

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM

oh another request would be ..

Enable IFRAME in custom Page? PLEASE?

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM

You can allow iframes to be used for Pages and Posts.  A small change needs to be made to the tinyMCE.ascx file in the ADMIN folder.

See this thread.  That thread discusses making the change in the Widgets\TextBox\widget.ascx file.  That's because the person was asking about enabling iframes for the TextBox widget.  But for Pages and Posts, the file to modify will be the tinyMCE.ascx file in the ADMIN folder.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Hi Ben

Sorry, didn't get back to you.

Anyway, the iframe worked in Pages and also in Textbox Widget

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:04 AM

DIV element not working in TextBox Widget.

Hi Ben,

I have added iframe. But what about DIV?

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I just tested, and the DIV element is working for me in the TextBox Widget.  I was able to click the 'HTML' toolbar icon and manually add a DIV.  I then saved the textbox widget and the DIV appeared.  I then Edited the contents, and re-saved ... the DIV continued to stick.  I also tried adding a 'style' attribute to the DIV with success.

I'm testing on BE 1.6.  What version are you using, btw?

You can try to add DIV to "extended_valid_elements" to see if it makes a different.  It's a comma delimited list.  Here's an example with the iframe one from that other thread, plus the DIV added to the end of it:

extended_valid_elements: "iframe[name|id|src|frameborder|width|height],div"

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:48 AM

Thanks Ben. Am using version 1.6

I'm a little confused on Tag Clouds.

How each theme modify the look of the Tag Cloud? I know CSS is the way. But am still confused.

For example in Indigo Theme. The Tag Cloud is listed vertically and not using the .big, .medium, .small, etc but in widget.ascx.cs there's a method there SortList() that I think applies this css classes? I've been reviewing Indigo and Standard theme and I don't see anything there that controls the look of Tag Cloud?

Can you please guide me?

I like to make the Tag Cloud in Indigo theme to look like the Standard Theme which was the tags has different sizes.

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:23 AM

It looks like the CSS file for the Indigo theme is outdated and should be updated.  Both the Standard and Indigo themes have the CSS classes: biggest, big, medium, small, etc.  However, the tag cloud container DIV has a class of 'tagcloud' -- not an ID of tagcloud.  In the Indigo style.css file, there's a bunch of CSS classes that begin like this:

The # would mean the tag cloud DIV has an ID of "tagcloud".  But it doesn't.  It simply has a CSS class of "tagcloud".  So all those #tagcloud items in the Indigo.css file should be changed to:

..... just like how it is in the Standard themes CSS file.

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM

ok got it.

Now, is it possible to put this <blog:TagCloud ~ /> in post.aspx ? How can I make this possible?

Actually, I tried it but it's not showing up. So I modify the Indigo's site.master file