"About the author" being the same and slow start

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Hi I'm new to BE but I really like it a lot. I have successfully installed BE, but I have encountered two problems. One is the "About the author" widget. This blog is supposed to allow multiple authors. When you click on different blogs that were written by different authors, the "about the author" widget always displays the first author regardless who actually wrote it. If you edit it and change it to the 2nd author, then all the posts have the 2nd author instead. Am I doing something wrong? I would like to display the author information even with their pictures. Is this doable? The 2nd problem I have is the blog site seems to take close to 1 minute to start. According to the usability theory, most people don't have the patience to wait that long for a page to be loaded. Is there anyway to expedite it? Please help! Thank you so much!!

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM

The About the Author widget is just a textbox widget that has static content in it.  It's not a dynamic widget that changes its content based on the current post being displayed.  In a number of places on the blog, there isn't an individual post being displayed, although the About the Author widget is displayed on those pages too (widgets are displayed on every page).  So which author profile should be displayed on those pages?

Although the textbox widget isn't going to do what you're looking for since it just displays static content, a widget can be created that would change its content based on the author of the individual post being displayed.  I'm not sure if such a widget exists, but I did create a widget that is "close" to this (it's called the About Me widget).  It can be found here.  This particular widget will get its content about the author from the Profiles tab in the control panel.  It's dynamic in that it's outputting content you define on the Profiles tab.  The only part it's missing is to determine which author's post is being displayed and to get the About Me content from that author's Profile.

Does it take 1 minute for the blog to come up every time you visit the blog?  Or just when the blog is first loading ... and then subsequent page loads are fast (not-slow)?  If you have a lot of posts, it can take some time for the blog to come up the very first time it loads.  If you don't have a lot of blog posts, then there's some other problem occurring which is leading to the 1 minute delays.  If you've added any custom widgets or extensions, try temporarily disabling or removing those to see if it helps with the speed.  The Twitter widget at one point would cause slow page loads.  The blogroll is another possibility.