ASP.NET 2.0 WebSite integration

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Themes
Apr 10, 2007 at 2:34 PM
Very nice application.

I pass the last 2 days to test every ASP.NET 2.0 blog (free or open source)available on the net and I can tell you that BlogEngine is my choice. Small, powerfull features and easy to setup.

My main goal is to integrate it to my web site. I use some of the new feature of ASP.NET 2.0 (master page, sitemap objectDataSource, Theme, etc.)

I use the generated SQL Server Express 2005 DB to manage membership and roles. I found a ISP that support Express DB under 6.00 $.

Do you have some advises to tell my on how to integrate BlogEngine to my website.

Here are some of my concerns :

I do not want to mixt BlogEngine files with the rest of the site. I must put it under a subfolder.
I do not have a problem with XML, but I need to use my DB as membership.
I need to give BlogEngine the same look as the rest of my site.
I need to translate It to french.

Thank you

Erik
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2007 at 3:05 PM
I'm very glad you like BlogEngine.NET.

1. If you want to put BlogEngine in a subfolder, you must make sure the subfolder is an application in the IIS.
2. You can use another membership provider. Just change it in web.config. You don't have to change any code.
3. The same look is a little tricky. The easiest is to copy the looks and make a theme.
4. The blog hasn't been translated yet. It is on the priority list. For the mean time you have to go though the files and do it.

My guess is that it will be easier to include your existing site into the BlogEngine than the other way around. Remember that the BlogEngine supports Pages which is not posts.