Move to Web Application Project model?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Apr 29, 2007 at 10:19 PM
The past day of playing around with BlogEngine.NET has been real fun. Except for a few minor XHTML-compliance issues here and there, it looks pretty damn good.

As you are aware, deployment with the stock web site model is far from optimal and can be rather frustrating when trying to commit minor changes (~50 files to be cleared from the bin and then re-uploaded. This number is bound to grow over time). Are there any plans to move over to the WAP model in the future?
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2007 at 8:34 AM
We haven't discussed it at all, so it is good that you brought it up. For the first release we are not going to use the WAP model. Instead we want to trim the web project as much as possible so it isn't much that needs to be updated. As for the next releases we are open to suggestions. Personally, I don't like the WAP model. It makes it very cumbersome to make the smallest change and you need visual studio to do it. By leaving it as it is, you just need notepad and a FTP program to make changes. I like that approach and flexibility.
Aug 21, 2007 at 4:05 PM
Notepad and FTP? I would think everybody would like to be able to use the power of VS. Especially with the new VS 2008 upcoming. E.g debugging (and intellisense) javascript in VS2008 or notepad...hummm.. let me think about that one! ;-)

I would realy like to have the WAP model, hopefully you are thinking about adding it!
Aug 21, 2007 at 11:01 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2007 at 11:02 PM
You're totally missing the point... Having to spin up VS just to edit some little thing because it's using the WAP model is annoying. If I just need to add or change one little thing I don't want to have to redeploy the thing because of it. And yes, VS is just a glorified text editor. For those of us who know what we're doing we could code without it even though it is rather nice. The other thing to keep in mind is that not everyone has VS.

Sowokie wrote:
Notepad and FTP? I would think everybody would like to be able to use the power of VS. Especially with the new VS 2008 upcoming. E.g debugging (and intellisense) javascript in VS2008 or notepad...hummm.. let me think about that one! ;-)

I would realy like to have the WAP model, hopefully you are thinking about adding it!